cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I unlinked my computer from Dropbox and now a lot of my desktop files are gone

I unlinked my computer from Dropbox and now a lot of my desktop files are gone

deltastar
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks in advance! I recently took an online art class, that the teacher uses Dropbox to send us her files. I clicked the link and created an account. Dropbox installed on my computer and cell (which was linked) It immediately started copying my thousands of files. I did not want it to do that.! I really did not realize that it would automatically start copying everything and I had no idea how to stop it…it wouldn’t let me cancel.   I wanted to get rid of Dropbox.  I was unsure of exactly what to do. I Googled articles about DropBox and how to leave it installed but unlink the devices. I carefully followed the advice;I unlinked them. Not only did all the saved files from class disappear BUT the folders of personal artwork,etc just disappeared off my desktop. It had thrown the trash bin away, I thought I could undelete them. I have tried all morning to get the trash bin……no luck.  Before I do too much more… are there are steps I can do to restore  my files? I want to do it correctly. Should I go back and try to link my PC back to the account and it may restore the files? I am afraid it will start automatically copying things again.  I am 71 years old. I do not have anyone to help me with this. Any help you can provide will be more than appreciated.

10 Replies 10

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @Maddogg, are you referring to the external drive backup feature, or something else?

Could you clarify what you mean when file are downloading to your machine? 

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Maddogg New member | Level 2
    deltastar Helpful | Level 6
    Mbrosario New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?