cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to rename the Dropbox folder to Dropbox instead of Dropbox (Personal)?

Is it possible to rename the Dropbox folder to Dropbox instead of Dropbox (Personal)?

Padraigincanada
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I want to get rid of (Personal) in my dropbox root folder now that I've stopped using Dropbox business.  "Jane" gives a great desription of how to change it on my mac, on this page: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installation-and-desktop-app/undo-changed-folder-name/td-p/220463

BUT, when I try the first step of deleting the link to my computer, it asks me "Delete files from my personal Dropbox the next time this computer comes online." and I don't know if I'm supposed to check this, or not supposed to check this.  And, it won't let me "REPLY" directly to Jane. 

Can anyone help? 

I want to keep all my files and relink them after I get the root folder name changed -- all I want to do is change the root folder name, I don't want to lose any files.

24 Replies 24

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Mr_and_Mrs_D,

In many cases, depending what exactly you need really, a workaround could be link/alias to "Dropbox (Personal)" folder. You can name it as you like, including just "Dropbox", and... the life is back as it was. :wink:

Hope this gives an alternative.

Bigalk
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I had a dropbox (personal) & (Myfamily).  The Myfamily userid has been compromised &I deleted it. How can i remove personal from te dropbox name?  I don't have a business accout and am not sure how I ended up with the 2 dropboxes in te first place.

Thanks

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Bigalk, thanks for posting today!

If you want to rename the personal Dropbox folder, you’ll need to unlink the personal and work accounts (the work account being the Myfamily account).

You can unlink them using the steps here. Afterwards, a reboot of the computer would help.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Bigalk
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Jay,

Thanks for your help.  I was unable to get rid of the Dropbox (Personal) . The (Myfamily) is  not connected and I was able to remove all data from  it  and remove it from my PC.  My main concern was my ID on the Dropbox (Myfamily) was hacked and I want to make sure  that there is no relationship between the 2 IDs. I don't know if my other ID still has a dropbox.

Thanks,

Al

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the info. Since they would be under separate emails, there isn't a way to access the personal account from the other account.

If you have any shared folders on your account that are shared with the MyFamily account, remove them as a member so that changes won't be made to files in those folder.

Hope this helps!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

silverst
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Adding my voice to the chorus of customers crying out for a Rename Dropbox feature. Unbelievable that after 5 years of Dropbox Teams, this hasn't been addressed. It must be so frustrating to all the coders working for Dropbox, using their boxes for code...

Bigalk
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
I think I got rid of personal on my PC, but the online Dropbox still says personal.
Now Everytime I star up my PCI get asked if Dropbox can make changes..like I just installed it. I may have to give up my 12G of space and use Google Drive instead!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Bigalk, thanks for getting back to me. The Dropbox site would still show your account as personal on this page, and on the bottom left of the page, just to distinguish it from a Business plan.

It shouldn't show up on your PC any more provided it was unpaired from your work plan.

If it's not showing there, could you forward a screenshot showing where you're seeing this info? Thanks!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Bigalk
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Thanks Jay! That's what I have now. Dropbox folder on PC ... Dropbox personal when I click on dropbox  Icon and then click  my id  on upper right corner.  Dropbox personal also appears as you said  in te lower left on dropbox .com

I have a new issue since  I worked on this.... now  everytime I start my PC  I get asked if I want dropbox app to make changes to this device..... as if I am installing it.  If I say No  dropbox doesn't start. I can start it later but It asks the same question.

Al

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

What OS are you running on that machine? Is it a company-maintained device (i.e. with an IT admin), or a personal machine?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    survivestyle Explorer | Level 4
    Bigalk Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?