cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost files after enabling Selective Sync

Lost files after enabling Selective Sync

vadoff
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

What the **bleep**!?

I just lost tens of thousands of crucial log files because I happened to move a large archive folder into Dropbox, then decided not to sync the log folder.

Why the hell would not syncing something permanently delete the files from my LOCAL computer? I'm so [profanity removed by moderation acording to our Community Guidelines], this is ridiculous.

22 Replies 22

CR1000
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is not the real truth!

This behavior as adaped newly in 2018. And Dropbox never work like this before!
Deselecting a synchronization for a folder never deleted the files on any device.

And the next lie is that files are staying on web or availabe in any so called deletion folder. All files are gone for ever!!

This is the biggest and stupid new option the world has seen.
And you know all about.

CR1000
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Rich,

The reasoning is arrogant and condescending. It does not help any of those present who are struggling with this problem to ride around on any documentation and proclaim it as a law like the holy Inquisition.

This behavior was newly added in 2018 and it's a design fail for a lot of reasons and the Dropbox company is be responible for this data loss behavior! In previous versions this behavior never happen.

I pay for my dropbox account, and I want decide what files are beeing on the dropbox space or what files are not. It doesn't matter if the files are synchronized directly with a device or not.

You should support people with an option that switching off selective synchronization does not automatically lead to the deletion of files on all devices.

1) Give legal reasons against this procedure.

2) Tell me the exact date and Dropbox version number, since when have you introduced this new procedure for deleting the data on the connected devices, which have to do directly with the deactivation of the synchronization of folders.

Source63
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Dropbox will never admit to any fault, nor make any effort to rectify this situation. Their stock response is (and always will be) "it is supposed to break, we just didn't notice it wasn't breaking, so we went ahead and fixed it so that it breaks now". My team lost a lot time due to this crazy dogmatic thinking. Luckily, we had other backups (Backblaze). Back in October, we canceled all dropbox accounts and moved everything to GitLabs. Best move we ever made. Google Drive is also a good replacement, allowing selective sync like Dropbox used too. They offer more free space, and more space for the money if you pay for G Suit. Thier sync app uses less resources, and sync speeds are much better too. Unfortunately, Dropbox is just not worth the time anymore.

CR10002
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I do not talk to any unknow user

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi everyone, I understand your frustration about how de-selecting folders in selective sync deletes the folder on the computer.

As far as I’m aware, this has always been the default behavior since I began, I even posted about this behavior here later on in a separate thread. I’ll paraphrase my responses here for convenience.

When a folder is unchecked from the selective sync window, it should delete the local copy of the folder, and keep the online copy untouched and not syncing to the machine.

If a local folder isn’t automatically deleted, it can be for various reasons, such as too many files in the folder to delete, permissions issues, or some other unknown factors. This is when you get the grey minus symbol to appear on the folder and files.

The fact that until now it was leaving the local copy of the folder with a grey minus symbol, and not deleting it completely, means that it wasn’t working as it should. You were actually experiencing the desktop app failing to delete the local copy, and that was never the intent of this feature.

The main reason for selective sync is to prevent folders from appearing on your local machine (meaning they wouldn’t sync or take up space), so there should never have been a local copy to begin with, as this could later cause selective sync conflicts.

While I understand your wish to prevent entire folders from syncing to the site, there is a method to do so using the steps here for some users, I just wanted to clarify that from what I know, selective sync should delete the local folder. If it didn’t, then that indicates that there’s an issue with your desktop app.

I appreciate your feedback on this matter, and it has been noted in our system.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

CR1001
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
@Jay  schrieb:

Hi everyone, I understand your frustration about how de-selecting folders in selective sync deletes the folder on the computer.

As far as I’m aware, this has always been the default behavior since I began, I even posted about this behavior here later on in a separate thread. I’ll paraphrase my responses here for convenience.

When a folder is unchecked from the selective sync window, it should delete the local copy of the folder, and keep the online copy untouched and not syncing to the machine.

If a local folder isn’t automatically deleted, it can be for various reasons, such as too many files in the folder to delete, permissions issues, or some other unknown factors. This is when you get the grey minus symbol to appear on the folder and files.

The fact that until now it was leaving the local copy of the folder with a grey minus symbol, and not deleting it completely, means that it wasn’t working as it should. You were actually experiencing the desktop app failing to delete the local copy, and that was never the intent of this feature.

The main reason for selective sync is to prevent folders from appearing on your local machine (meaning they wouldn’t sync or take up space), so there should never have been a local copy to begin with, as this could later cause selective sync conflicts.

While I understand your wish to prevent entire folders from syncing to the site, there is a method to do so using the steps here for some users, I just wanted to clarify that from what I know, selective sync should delete the local folder. If it didn’t, then that indicates that there’s an issue with your desktop app.

I appreciate your feedback on this matter, and it has been noted in our system.

The most critical issue is working with heavy application projects in dropbox under windows. I'm a senior user of dropbox since version V2.0!

My project folder is directly created in a dropbox folder pc local and insync with other users.

The pojects (not even one) contain currently about 20.000 files. The application creates a /Library Cache folder to have faster access to the files and it contain also .meta information about all files. Currently ~11.000 files.

When the desktop application starts, it updates about 1000-3000 files at start.
Now dropbox whats to synchronize all these changed files for sure, but this is terrible data flow influence also cause locked issues.

To prevent this extreme synchronization data flow, it was possible to select eg. the /Library folder to "not insync". And the files stayed on the local drive, with any touch of dropbox. That was perfect in the past! until version 64.x.

Now dropbox erases all local folders are not snyced. This incude all the Project folders are marked in the past as "do not snyc" silently with the new deletion behavior.

The desktop application tries to load a project  and quits with "Data and library files are damaged. Project is unsusable. Fatal Error"

And that happen to all users are synced to any project via dropbox. Periodically backups of the /Projects contains the slilend damaged projects as well.

Can you imagin how terrible this behavior is? I think not.

CR1001
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Here is what happen after starting a project in Dropbox after the first start.

Untitled-1.jpg
After the first start of the project file the application updated about 15.000 files with about 950.000.000 Bytes. These files are spead over ~50 folders and Dropbox must sync them currently. This is a waste of bandwidth and C0² emission and a climatic pollution, because 10000 user working in the same way and with the same Application.

I hope the money-hungry shareholder behind Dropbox will eventually become aware of the fact that they won't save their $ 10,000 billions to another earth and allow options to be included that will help the users and reducing c02 emission out of the box.

Untitled-2.jpg

MarcoStamazza
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Ok, it says that. But it is a huge change from previous behaviour. That should be announced clearly. I don't expect an old feature to change without notice.

In any case, it seems quite a silly change. The most important problem people have is that dropbox synching conflicts with projects of various programs (for example Rstudio). Now you introduced this stupid feature to have a file on the cloud and remove it from the hard drive. if I want to delete a file I can do it by myself and I if i want to keep it somewhere else I have lots of ways of doing it.

So, the problem is nopt having a pop up nortice but:

1) having completely changed a previous command without changing its name

2) ahve removed a useful feature for a dangerous one which doesn't seem to be useful at all.

I saw people asked for away to have filetypes ignored, like *.log, *.proj, ecc. Before it could be done manually with selective synching, now I need to disable synching alltogether.

AnnoyedUser22
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I NEVER write on these type of forums but this is beyond a joke. I was working in sync with a project on my work computer and I didn't want to massive amount of cache files to transfer over (100+ GBs) so I unsynced that folder. Just like everyone else on here it deleted all of my local files. Literally a week of simulation and data processing gone without a decent warning. I have a choice of waiting days for it download or days to redo all the work. Honestly this is a massive design flaw, I don't care how you think people should interpret the feature.

FIX this bug/feature now. This is surely not how people expect to work. I don't see how I can even use Dropbox from now on, I'm afraid to do anything incase it simply wipes the entire project without warning.

Local files should always stay safe! Massive warning boxes should pop over if local files are going to be wiped. This has thrown a massive spanner in my job. I don't even know what to say.

CR1001
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

A link to a statement from RICH SuperUser that Dropbox never behave different delete files from the local drive.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/News-on-selective-folder-and-option-that-preve... 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    CR1001 Helpful | Level 6
    Rich Super User II
    AnnoyedUser22 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?