cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My laptop was stolen - what can I do?

My laptop was stolen - what can I do?

Douglas F.9
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

My laptop was stolen and there's  information on it stored locally in Dropbox.  I read with interest that you can do a Remote wipe i.e  Clear files from lost or stolen devices to keep company files in the right hands.  I didn't have the Business Dropbox version on the laptop at the time, I have signed up now for Business Dropbox but I'm wondering if I can still do a remote wipe

I have already unlinked the device but didn't see any option to do a remote wipe, does this mean I cant do a remote wipe.

If anyone can respond to me as soon as possible or has any suggestions I'd really be most grateful.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

I have already unlinked the device but didn't see any option to do a remote wipe, does this mean I cant do a remote wipe.

Yes, As soon as you unlink it there is now way of removing data off the device - remote wipe is only available to Pro and Business users and so only those users see it when they unlink. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Yes, As soon as you unlink it there is now way of removing data off the device - remote wipe is only available to Pro and Business users and so only those users see it when they unlink. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Douglas F.9
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Mark thanks so much for your reply.

Do you know if theres anything that Dropbox Support team can do

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

No, theres nothing I'm afraid. 

By unlinking it the device has no connection at all back to Dropbox. Its only possible to relink to Dropbox now via the device itself. 

Douglas F.9
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

ok, thanks anyway, I appreciate your help

Stephanie N.8
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

My laptop has been stolen. I am a Pro user, so I followed the stipulated procedure to remote wipe the Dropbox folder from a device. Unfortunately, in the case of this device, I did not tick the box "Delete files from [Dropbox account name] the next time this computer comes online" before clicking unlink. Now the device has been unlinked, can I still delete all files?

Also, can I remotely delete the app from my stolen laptop?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Sorry for your loss.

However, as has been said I'm afraid not Stephanie. Dropbox now has no connection at all to this device. Once a device is unlinked you need the physical device in your presence to reconnect it

Stephanie N.8
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thank you Marc. As a precaution, after my laptop was stolen, I logged on to Dropbox over the internet using another machine, downloaded all of my files onto an external hard drive, and then deleted them all from Dropbox. I have now obtained another machine, and want to start using Dropbox again -- the desktop app. But before dropping files in there again, I am worried that the thief will be able to access them. I did change my password, but if the desktop app is still running on that machine, won't files that I drop into Dropbox be visible there as well?

Stephanie N.8
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I thought of deleting my dropbox account -- which is now empty of all files -- and creating a new one. But I don't know if that is advisable.

Alexis G.1
Super User
Go to solution

I really sorry for your lost.

This is why is important to Encrypt the HDD or SSD in laptops by using the built-in Bitlocker feature in Windows.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    MD misbah New member | Level 2
    220 New member | Level 2
    Robert S. Super User alumni
What do Dropbox user levels mean?