cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error message when trying to open .txt files in the Dropbox mobile app

No longer able to open .txt files in Dropbox editor on Android phone app, asked to convert to Google

anndinkc
Explorer | Level 4

Starting this week, I am unable to open my .txt files with the Dropbox Editor on the Dropbox Android phone app. I am now being presented with the following message:

Upload to View
This file type can only be viewed if it is first uploaded and converted into a Google Docs file. Do you want to continue?

I do not want to use Google Docs for my .txt files. I have tried that provided option, but you then must tie the document to a Google account, and it does annoying auto-formatting and such which I am purposely trying to avoid by using .txt files in the first place.

Is Dropbox editor being deprecated? Is there any way to use another text editor on my device instead of converting to a Google Doc and tying back to a Google account? I am unable to even try to open this document using another editor now, you get the same 'Upload to View' message when clicking the kabab menu too

17 Replies 17

anndinkc
Explorer | Level 4

@Nancy for a science, I just made a new .txt file with Dropbox editor containing just "test<new line>test". saved it, and immediately got the same message when trying to open it back up after initial creating and save

Screenshot_20240116-133518.pngScreenshot_20240116-133532.pngScreenshot_20240116-133545.png

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for giving that a go! Good thinking. 

What I want you to try next is to clear the cache of your Dropbox app (via its settings), and also reinstall it on your device. 

Are you seeing the same error after that?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

anndinkc
Explorer | Level 4

@Nancy I think that worked!! How? And why?? I am unsure but I am again able to open, view, edit, and rename my .txt files using just the Dropbox app.

tomasstj
New member | Level 2

I'm having the same problem. Been using Dropbox for 15 years. And now, in January 2024, when trying to open a txt file I get a message saying that the file has to be uploaded to Google drive and converted before I can view it! So irritating!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @tomasstj, would you mind sending us a screenshot of this message, so we can have a visual?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

tomasstj
New member | Level 2

tomasstj_0-1706258512565.jpeg

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the screenshot, @tomasstj.

I moved your post to a thread that is dealing with the same issue, as the one you initially posted in, is about a different one.

Can you take a look at the info and troubleshooting steps here and let me know if they help?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

tomasstj
New member | Level 2

Yes, thank you, that solved it!

Need more support?