cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permanently deleted files

Permanently deleted files

jbukie
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I kept receiving messages saying my dropbox was almost out of storage, so I decided to move my digital photos to another platform to free up some space. In the transfer, I accidently deleted a folder called 'dates needed' (or something similar). Many of these were photos of my parents before I was born or very young. I only realized this morning that they were gone. I first checked to see if I moved the folder into an existing folder in dropbox. No luck. Then I opened up the online dropbox and began searching through deleted files. I am not certain, but I think I did this within 30 days. When I searched deleted files, I couldn't find it and it was only showing back to 3 days. I even adjusted the time frame. I began to permanently delete some files and folders that I didn't want and it began showing me more rows. So I kept hunting and deleting but still couldn't find it. What I didn't realize was that when I deleted something that said + 9 files that a file could be a folder! After I got to the point that no more new rows were showing up I did click on one of the 'spaceship' looking icons that said + 9 files and saw to my horror that it a file could be a folder. So in my hunt for the folder, I may have permanently deleted the folder I was trying to save. I am writing to ask is there any thing dropbox can do to help me retrieve this folder?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @jbukie sorry to hear about this.

I'm afraid that if you permanently deleted the folder in question indeed, we won't be able to help restore it from our end.

That said, to make sure we got everything covered, have you tried taking a look at your events page and maybe restoring from there?

Let me know what you find!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @jbukie sorry to hear about this.

I'm afraid that if you permanently deleted the folder in question indeed, we won't be able to help restore it from our end.

That said, to make sure we got everything covered, have you tried taking a look at your events page and maybe restoring from there?

Let me know what you find!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

jbukie
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you Walter for your prompt response. I wasn't aware of the events page. Unfortunately and sadly, I could not find it on that page. But so appreciative that you took time to offer suggestions. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jbukie New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?