cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to have files live in multiple places?

Possible to have files live in multiple places?

Rebecca16
Explorer | Level 4

Use case:

I want to put a document into my "company wide" folder as it could be applicable to anyone across departments. I also want the same document in my "Consulting" folder as it is most often used by my consultants. However, I want this document to be the same document, not a duplicated file. In essence, I want to be able to make edits to this document from the "Company wide" folder and it automatically updates the version in the "Consulting" folder as well. 

Is this feature available on Dropbox? If not, does anyone know what file storage and sharing platform has this feature?

4 Replies 4

Calvin2DBX
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Rebecca16,

Thanks for that excellent question here in the Community!

I'm sure this would benefit of lot of people to consider how it can be done, with what's available already.

All you would need to do is create a shared link to the document, from the "company wide" location in your case.

Once you have your link, go to the other location, such as "Consulting", and click the "+Create" button, then choose "More" --> "Shortcut".

You can leave the shared link to the document in the URL field, and give the shortcut a name.

That way, anyone accessing via the shortcut in the "Consulting" folder would be taken automatically to the most up to date version of the content in the "company wide" location.

Hope that saves you from duplication and additional work! 

Let me know how you get on.

Calvin
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Not applicable

Good info....Thank you !

Rebecca16
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you. Ok, so if I understand correctly, the document lives in one folder where it will be maintained but can "live" as a link in another folder. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Rebecca16, that's correct, essentially the file remains in one location, but the URL points to a shared link to the file itself.

Provided that the original file isn't deleted, the link will remain active.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Rebecca16 Explorer | Level 4
    anonymous Not applicable
    Calvin2DBX Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?