cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Prevent Accidental Moving or Deletion of Files/Folders

Prevent Accidental Moving or Deletion of Files/Folders

Roy K.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I accidentally moved my folders today by mistakenly clicking on it. My question is, is there a way to prevent this from happening, like adding a prompt if a folder is going to be moved or deleted? It will prevent accidental moving or deletion of files/folders.

18 Replies 18

Tony C.14
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It is far too easy to delete a dropbox folder maybe without realising it.  So copy your important files into a separate dropbox folder and keep in the cloud not on your computer (and copy to a hard disc)

iiwaasnet
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Another analogy would be Git: whatever you do with your file (or at least, when you delete it), previous version(s) is saved. Your files are local, Git repo - is somewhere in clouds.

dachshundrescue
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
This is what happened to me a few weeks ago and I have been unable to find a solution. I am searching community to see if anyone else has a solution. Some files I have been able to put back into Dropbox but I am still finding those that are gone and some can't be replaced. Don't see a solution yet.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Why dont you just ask Dropbox to do it for you?

They'll do rollbacks within 30 days for you via http://bit.ly/cm-support which is trackable via http://dropbox.zendesk.com

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

dachshundrescue
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have  been back and forth with a customer service rep for a week and it I am not showing anything deleted in Dropbox.  I have seldom moved anything from one file to another and definitely none of the things that are missing.  The customer service rep that has been communicating with me keeps referring me to how to restore deleted files.  At this point I'm not sure that rolling back only 30 days will solve the problem.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm going to ask about that.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey dachshundrescue

Thanks for getting in touch!

I can see a member of our team has reached back out to you on the ticket with more information. Please check your email inbox for their reply and let me know if you're unable to locate it. 

If there's anything else we could do for you, please let me know! 

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

dachshundrescue
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

It's not possible for me to get the files back without some time consuming research.  I have a file with adoption contracts from the last three years and there are only currently 28 contracts in the file.  I put 60 in last year alone.  I have never deleted anything from that file.  They don't show as deleted.  I'm not sure exactly when it happened except that some time within the last couple of months.  There are items missing from other folders also.  I have been using Dropbox for a couple of years and never had a problem until recently.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey dachshundrescue, thanks for the swift reply!

I understand that the issue may have arised as of lately, so please include all these details on open ticket, I’m positive my colleagues will do their best to help you and locate your missing files.

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

marc5
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

What you could do : set dropbox to NOT automatically start-up when you start your computer/OS.

When you 're finished working, start dropbox and it will automatically sync with the cloud.

For backup purposes : you can use a folder that does not sync (you can specify this is "settings" in the Dropbox app).

Grts,

Marc

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]
Need more support?