cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems deleting folders or files on my desktop after unlinking a device

Problems deleting folders or files on my desktop after unlinking a device

Digital_Di
New member | Level 2

Hello 🙂

I wonder if someone can help me? I have recently cancelled my Dropbox Pro plan and want to go back to my "free" plan.  However, I'm now, obviously over my allotted space by a significant amount.

I'd like to delete the folders/files in my Dropbox account so I'm not over that limit. My account was previously linked to my Macbook and would sync with Dropbox. I'm now using a different backup system so all my files are saved and safe lol 

When I try and delete the files from Dropbox I get an error message about unlinking my device.  I have unlinked it but I'm still getting the same error message. It's only giving me the option to upgrade rather than delete my files.
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II

@Digital_Di wrote:

When I try and delete the files from Dropbox I get an error message about unlinking my device.

Can you provide a screenshot of the message? Be sure to mask any private information if there is any shown.

Digital_Di
New member | Level 2

Here's the message I get. When I follow the instructions to unlink my computer, there's no computer to unlink but I keep getting this same message.

I've been getting messages and emails telling me I'm over my storage limit and the only option they give me is to upgrade.

Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 14.39.36.jpg

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Digital_Di, could you try reinstalling the Dropbox desktop application and see if you can disable the Dropbox Backup feature from within the app?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Digital_Di New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?