cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Randomly deleted files and folders

Randomly deleted files and folders

currentcapital
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Anyone else experiencing files and folders being deleted from Dropbox without human intervention?

I know that I'm going to get the stock Dropbox answer here that it can't happen, but I can explicitly tell you it does.

What I saw was random deletions of over 10,000 files/folders in the space of less than 33 seconds. Even with the best will in the world - not to mention the fastest fingers - this just isn't possible. Especially considering that some complete folders, and in some cases just files within folders, disappeared at 13:30 BST yesterday, all within 33 seconds (according to the event log). 

The kicker is that the only person who has access to these files/folders is me - and I know for sure that I didn't delete them.

I guess there may be 2 explanations:

1) I entered a fugue state and decided to delete all my work on a number of cases

2) Something is happening with the Dropbox software that either Dropbox don't know about or can't fix

Been trying to get Dropbox support to assist, but got the usual default customer service answer of "it's not us it's you". Well, I know it's not me - so by extension it must be the software!

Next step is to request a refund of my yearly plan as I cannot have something that intervenes in my workflow like this and then wastes half a day (and counting) trying to figure out what's missing. I guess the only silver lining is that I have a Dropbox business account, so files are kept forever. Small benefit, but a good one at this stage.

So, after my long winded moan above, anyone have a resolution to stop Dropbox from deleting things from my folders? Or is it just time to move on to another provider?

Finally, don't let anyone from Dropbox tell you differently (especially the "Super Users") as I can categorically say it happens. They'll tell you it can't, but I know for a fact that it can.

Best of luck and hoping you don't fall foul of the same problems I've had.

60 Replies 60

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Atmosphere, I'm sorry to hear about this large deletion, let's work together on resolving it!

As you noted the Rewind function sometimes may not work, if a deletion is very large, or if it has mixed events in it (moves, deletions etc) but in any case we are always here to help.

Our Support Team is indeed working only on weekdays, and not weekends but you should be able to contact them about this issue today, using this page.

I would also suggest you check your Events' page if you wish to have a clear idea on what might have happened. The Events page at gives you an overview of all activity in your account including files events (adds/edits/deletes), as well as adding or removing shared folders. 

Lastly, was this folder a shared one? If yes, can you also check the Sharing page on the web, to see if you have the option to add the folder? 

I’m looking forward to hearing back from you on this discussion!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Atmosphere Explorer | Level 4
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    sibu12345 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?