cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove dropbox backup for my entire machine

Remove dropbox backup for my entire machine

hallgee
Explorer | Level 3

After receiving the unwanted prompt during setup of Dropbox "Do you want to backup your entire computer," I accidentally hit the yes button, and had to wait while all my files were moved to a Dropbox folder. I do not want them there. I cannot find out how to undo this.

Help would be appreciated.

Mac Mini OS Big Sur

11 Replies 11

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @hallgee, let's jump right into this! 

It sounds like you enabled our Backup feature. You can disable it using the steps mentioned in this article.

If you have any questions, let me know!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

hallgee
Explorer | Level 3
I managed to remove everything from the dropbox directory that had been added to my root directory, and everything subsequently shoved into it. The problem is, even though my computer shows that everything is back at root, the old dropbox directory still reads 94 GB, even though it’s empty. I’m afraid to throw it away in case it will trash all of that. How do I safely dispose of this directory? I have restarted, etc. Do I need to change the permissions on this dropbox directory in order to get it to read 0 GB? Thanks.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @hallgee, can you clarify what you mean when you say Dropbox directory and root directory? 

You also mentioned the old Dropbox directory. Do you mean that you now have two Dropbox folders? 

If you could send me a couple of screenshots, that'd be amazing, in order for me to have a visual too. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

hallgee
Explorer | Level 3

The detailed screenshot shows the directory structure of my current HD. Hallgee is root. The directory called dropbox (old) is the one into which most of the files in Hallgee were put. I had to extract them, put the files which had been forced into dropbox (old) back to Root. That dropbox (old) directory still reads almost 98 GB, but in the second photo, you can see it’s empty. 

Rather than doing this back-and-forth, I would like to talk to someone. I understand I’m not on a paid plan, but your software derailed me into this, so the least you owe me is a call back. My number is [email removed as per Community Guidelines

I can’t appear to put photos here, so I’m re-copying this into the email as well.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @hallgee, you should be able to attach your screenshots back to us by clicking the camera-like icon that looks like this:

As for phone Support, as you mentioned it's not available to non-Business users, I'm afraid. 

Also, if you access the app's preferences and specifically your Sync tab, you should be able to see where your Dropbox folder is located. 

This is where your Dropbox files should be located. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

hallgee
Explorer | Level 3
I am unable to find this icon. I emailed you the photos.

Can you please connect me with a supervisor? This situation was created by your company’s confusing prompts during installation, so I take no responsibility. I do not wish to take a great deal of time solving this situation that was caused by your company’s attempt to get me to back up my entire machine—bad practice, so I need to talk to someone please.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @hallgee. currently, we only provide incoming phone support for team admins of Dropbox Business subscriptions.

Regarding support options, they vary depending upon your current plan. You can view all your available options when signed into your account on this page.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

hallgee
Explorer | Level 3
I reattach the images you asked for in another email. The descriptions are above. Let me know if you do not get them. I cannot find the link to attach images. I also include a command line listing of the directories and subdirectories. Thanks

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @hallgee, in order for us to see your screenshots, you’ll need to attach them in this Community thread, and not send them via email.

Right before you post your reply on the forum, do you see a list of icons right above your message box? If yes, there’s a small camera icon there, that’ll allow you to upload them here (Megan also included what it looks like above).

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    hallgee Explorer | Level 3
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?