cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Some files are black

Some files are black

emlan
Explorer | Level 3

I am trying to open a spreadsheet saved on Dropbox but the file has some text showing and the majority of the page is black. Why is this?

8 Replies 8

Rich
Super User II

Are you opening this file through the Dropbox website? If so, download it to your computer first, then open then file in an appropriate application.

If the file is already on your computer, then you'll need to contact the support group for whichever application you're using as Dropbox has nothing to do with how a file is opened or displayed on your computer.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi there, are you previewing the file on the Dropbox site, opening it in Excel Online, or on your local copy of Excel on your machine?

Let me know so I can assist!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

emlan
Explorer | Level 3

I am trying to open through the dropbox file and dropbox webpage. I have uninstalled and reinstalled dropbox too. I can see 2 out of 3 files on the webpage however not in the file. It is an excel spreadsheet. Thanks

emlan
Explorer | Level 3

I have also emailed support however have not heard back. Thanks

Jay
Dropbox Staff
When you say Dropbox file, do you mean the Dropbox folder?

If so, and the file itself is showing black in some of the spreadsheet, then it’s possible it was made that way for some reason. Dropbox doesn’t modify your files in any way without any user interaction on them.

Are you able to change the color of the cells in Excel yourself? Was this via a shared folder, and did the other user create the spreadsheet this way?

Any info you can provide, including screenshots (hiding any personal data) would be great!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

emlan
Explorer | Level 3

Hello

Yes opening in the dropbox folder. We have tried to change the colour however the top of the excel spreadsheet where the 'fill' button is, is grey and cannot be clicked. I have tried to attach a picture of the screen however i am getting an unexpected error message from dropbox

Jay
Dropbox Staff
I’m not sure if this is Dropbox-related, since you’re experiencing this issue on your computer.

Can you try quitting the Dropbox desktop application and editing the file? Does this issue occur again?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Rich
Super User II

You mentioned that you were opening the file through the Dropbox website. Then when asked if you were opening the file through the Dropbox folder, you said yes. These are two completely different things.

The Dropbox folder refers to the folder that's created on your computer when you install the Dropbox software. Any files in your Dropbox account then sync to the Dropbox folder. If you're opening files from this folder, then you're not using the website.

How, exactly, are you opening these files? The more details you provide, the easier it will be for us to understand and assist.

Need more support?