cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Struggling to remove files off desktop, not the account.

Struggling to remove files off desktop, not the account.

gnx02
New member | Level 2

My apologies if this problem has a simple solution, but I’m new to Dropbox. I’ve been trying to remove files only from my desktop, not my account, because I need space.
I used selective sync to remove folders from my desktop and most of them had disappeared. But there are still a few folders that won’t disappear even though they’re unchecked in the sync settings like the other folders.

When I attempt to open a file in the remaining folders, it says “Failed to download. Resume syncing and try again.”

Is it safe to delete the rest of the folders off my desktop? Or is there like a day or two wait until they’re off or something?

1 Reply 1

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @gnx02, let's jump right into this!

If you used selective sync, in order to remove a folder off of your hard drive, then you shouldn't be seeing it inside your Dropbox folder anymore. The fact that you do, is kind of odd. 

As a first step, can you clarify the app's syncing status, along with its version, in order for us to check if the app is maybe still syncing these changes? 

Keep me posted! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?