cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to delete \.dropbox.device as it messes up my backup

Trying to delete \.dropbox.device as it messes up my backup

TomMartinak
New member | Level 2

I have a file on my usb \.dropbox.device which is messing up my backup. Where is it? So I can delete it. And how do I keep it from showing up again

1 Reply 1

Rich
Super User II

@TomMartinak wrote:

I have a file on my usb \.dropbox.device which is messing up my backup. Where is it? So I can delete it. And how do I keep it from showing up again

It will be a hidden file in the root of your drive. If it's truly messing up a backup job it would be best to just add an exclusion for it in your backup software. Any removable drive you connect to your computer will get that file as long as Dropbox is installed and running.

You can go into Dropbox Preferences and tell it not to ask about backing up external drives that you plug in, and you can change the autoplay settings in your OS so Dropbox isn't used when you connect a drive, but I don't know if that will completely prevent the file from showing up.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?