cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning on dropbox backup but folder name is weird

Turning on dropbox backup but folder name is weird

tjanderson
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I had tested the Dropbox Backup feature in the past so I know that when turned on my Computers should be added as My Mac (Unique Mac Name). I decided to turn it back on again when setting up two new Macs that I have but the backup now creates the folders as just  MacMac (2), Mac (3)

I've gone through the steps of unlinking Dropbox from each computer. Checking their names in System Preferences and also in the Security tab of my Dropbox account. The computer names are correct in Dropbox but the backup feature is still creating the folders as just Mac

tjanderson_0-1626891060061.png

56 Replies 56

CaverHe
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Hannah It has been 2 years, and we still can't rename the sync folder at DropBox. I followed the step, tried to unlink and relink the device. Now here we go: it's been like Mac (1)(1)(1)(1)(1)(1)(2)(1).

CleanShot 2022-12-10 at 02.52.16@2x.png

I even can't understand how you can allow this happened.
HOW HARD IS IT FOR YOUR DEVELOPER TO JUST LET YOUR USERS CHOOSE THE FOLDER NAME THEY WANT TO USE?

developedsoftwa
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I can’t believe this still hasn’t been fixed 😂😂😂

nichole
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

OK, they are finally rolling up a Beta update for Dropbox Backup that will let you rename and I was able to do it! You can do go through Dropbox Backup in the app, disable the backups on all the computers there, and then restart them. Then, re-enable backups and it should move you over to beta so you can now rename things!

developedsoftwa
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I just did this! Can confirm it works! Thanks Dropbox!

jlniagara
New member | Level 2

By disable do you mean delete backup?  I dont see a disable option in the app under Dropbox Backups.  What specific steps do I follow?  Delete the backup, restart the computer, then set the backup up again?

tks32
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, did this make it's way to the Mac version as well? I am on v195.4.4995 (downloaded today) on an M2 Mac and have the rename option missing. Even though this page even suggests the option existing.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @tks32, are you on the updated Dropbox Backup in order for this feature to be available to you?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    tks32 New member | Level 2
    jlniagara New member | Level 2
    developedsoftwa Helpful | Level 5
    nichole Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?