cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Will my photos stay on my computer if I delete them from my iPhone?

What happens to all my pictures if I delete the Dropbox app from my iPhone?

Maeghan F.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Will I lose all my pictures if I delete the app on my iPhone?

19 Replies 19

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

if I delete the app will that delete my photos? 

No.

Pamela R.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

My iphone is running out of room. So if I delete DROPBOX from my phone, will the photos still be in "Dropbox" if I open it on my regular computer? I need space. I can delete the app. Do I have to manually delete the photos in dropbox on iphone as well?
Thank you!

Gail W.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I downloaded the Dropbox app on my iPhone so I could sync photos I take with it to Dropbox. However -- big problem. Every photo already in various Dropbox files (some 5,000 in shared business files) has now populated on my phone, eating up almost all previously available storage.

I tried deleting individual photos from my phone, but they just recycled to the bottom of the stack. I tried deleting an individual photo from the Dropbox.com photos folder, but that also deleted it from the business folder it was filed in.

It seems my only option is to delete the app from my phone. If I do that, will all those photos remain in the Dropbox account folders?

Thanks.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Every photo already in various Dropbox files (some 5,000 in shared business files) has now populated on my phone, eating up almost all previously available storage.

Dropbox doesn't do that. The Dropbox app does not sync files to your phone. It only shows you what's in your account online. The only files that are stored on your phone are those that you open (which are stored temporarily in cache) or those that you've marked as available offline.

I tried deleting an individual photo from the Dropbox.com photos folder, but that also deleted it from the business folder it was filed in.

The Photos page on the Dropbox website is not a folder. It's a display of every image and video from every folder in your account. Deleting anything on that page will delete it from its actual location.

It seems my only option is to delete the app from my phone. If I do that, will all those photos remain in the Dropbox account folders?

Yes. Removing the app has no impact on the files in your account.

Gail W.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Rich - thanks for the quick response. I know my question is just another version of previous posts, so I appreciate the full explanations to help me understand better how Dropbox works. I rely on it for business but unfortunately don't have a good understanding of how it really works.

kathjaz
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Will my photos that are downloaded to Dropbox on my computer stay on my computer if I delete them from my iPhone?

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Do you mean deleting the photos on iPhone Photos app? In that case, it wouldn't delete them in Dropbox on your computer. However, if you delete the files in your iPhone Dropbox app, it will delete everywhere in Dropbox including your computer and Dropbox web.

karencrouch
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Really?  I can't just delete the app and use the web version?  That is crazy.  I have an android.

karencrouch
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I'm afraid to uninstall my dropbox app from my android.  has anyone actually done this and still the dropbox web version files remain intact?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Uninstalling the Dropbox app will have no impact on your account or the files within it. You can safely remove it from your device. Your files will not be deleted.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Need more support?