cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I open my files in Dropbox via dropbox.com, I can't edit them

When I open my files in Dropbox via dropbox.com, I can't edit them

Rikke H.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

When I open my files in Dropbox via dropbox.com, I can't edit them.... I don't get any message, but it seems they are converted into pdf files - when I had them on my Mac, they weren´t.
I just uploaded all files from my Mac, since they would not syncronice.. (thats another problem, which I believe has a solution I don't really understand from your explanation at the site.
Rikke

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

William B.35
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Dear all:

I just find the solution. In order to be able to edit documents in dropbox online, the document format should be in case of word, file format .docx; if you uploaded  in format .doc, you won't be able to opened in the web side. 

Best regards,

William

Moderator note: You can also look at this Help Center article https://help.dropbox.com/view-edit/open-button 

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Orla
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Rikke,

Editing your Dropbox files via the website requires a bit more work than using the Dropbox desktop client. If possible, use the Dropbox desktop client on your computer when you would like to edit files.

That being said, to use the Dropbox website to access your files you will need to follow the basic pattern of DOWNLOAD, EDIT, UPLOAD.

Here are the steps:

DOWNLOAD:

1) Log in to the Dropbox website.
2) Right-click on the file you would like to download.
3) Select "Download".
4) When you are asked whether you would like to "Open with" or "Save File," choose "Save File" and save the file to your desired location.

EDIT:

1) In the location where you have saved the file on your computer, double-click on the file to open it.
2) Once you've finished making your changes to the file, save it.

UPLOAD:

1) Log in to the Dropbox website.
2) Navigate to the folder where you want to upload the file.
3) Click on the "Upload" button at the top of the screen.
4) Click "Choose files" and select the file you would like to upload to the Dropbox website.

Once your file uploads it will replace the version on the website and sync to any linked computers.

Scott W.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

A recent update is supposed to allow the editing of Microsoft Office files in my web browser.  I have discovered that some Word files allow for this option, but others do not.  I haven't been able to edit any of my Excel files in the web browser.  The update information I read stated that a new option would be available.  In addition to "Share" and "Download" in the upper right-hand corner, "Open" would be a new option.  It is not available on every MS Office file in my Dropbox.  Why is that?

Molly D.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm finding the same things as Scott W.  In my case, a file that I was able to "open" and edit online no longer has that option.  I have been unable to find an answer.  And when I downloaded the file, and uploaded a copy, I was unable to open and edit the copy.  It's frustrating.

Laura L.12
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am experiencing the same issues as Scott W. and Molly D.  I do not have the "Open" button to edit an excel document in dropbox. Does it have something to do with upgrading my OS to Windows 10?

Gabriel B.7
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm having the same difficulties as Scott and Molly but:

In one shared folder the "open" button does appear and enables edit in office docs but in another shared folder the "open" button does not appear.

Why?

Barbara C.11
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am also having the same difficulties as others for editing a shared Excel document.  I have tried from my desktop following the instructions provided above, but the file only opens as read-only requiring to save it and then upload again, replacing the original document.  That seems to be the same process as if I accessed the file from the Dropbox website.  Very frustrating !!

Isn't there a solution to this problem that so many have experienced?

William B.35
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Dear all:

I just find the solution. In order to be able to edit documents in dropbox online, the document format should be in case of word, file format .docx; if you uploaded  in format .doc, you won't be able to opened in the web side. 

Best regards,

William

Moderator note: You can also look at this Help Center article https://help.dropbox.com/view-edit/open-button 

Molly D.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

William- thank you. That worked. 😄

Judy W.9
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Since upgrading to W10, I am unable to double click, open, edit and save a document inside dropbox app or online.  Where do you suggest I go for answers.  Microsoft doesn't know and I have no way to call dropbox.  I know they want to get Dropbox customers to switch to OneDrive and I may have to do that for the simple time factor.  Uploading/saving/uploading is cumbersome.  thanks!  Judy

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Judy W.9 New member | Level 1
    Molly D.3 New member | Level 1
    William B.35 New member | Level 1
    Barbara C.11 New member | Level 1
    Gabriel B.7 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?