cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are my files? Can you help me restore them?

Where are my files? Can you help me restore them?

bella221
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I've been using dropbox since 2011 (two or three computers).

I've had to change computers but when I tried to recover my dropbox it was empty!

The files in it are extremely important and I've never had this problem before.

Can you help?

Thanks

Arabel

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@bella221 my guess here is if all you see on www.dropbox.com/events are the files you listed is actually you have logged in to the wrong account OR accidentally set up a new one. As Walter etc. said any activity is shown on that page - no activity = no syncing on that account. 

Have a search for no-reply@dropbox.com in your emails to see what email you actually used to log in. And remember things like @gmail.com and @googlemail.com are 2 DIFFERENT accounts here. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

What does www.dropbox.com/events show @bella221 ?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

bella221
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks for replying but it still doesn't tell me where my files have got to... I'm a translator and a lot of my work is in there plus work I manage for my Rotary, etc. I desperately need them!

I followed all the instructions to the letter, so why did I get a new accounty when I already had one?

Arabel

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @bella221, happy Tuesday! 

Can you specify if you saw the name of the files you're looking for in the events page? 

However, if you opened a new Dropbox account, then there's a high chance the content you're searching is on the account you used before. Have you looked into that? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

bella221
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Sorry Megan,

What is the events page? since I signed in on the new computer, I have a blank box with no files in it...

Bella

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @bella221, sorry to jump in, but is it possible that you're looking at the wrong account?

Do you happen to have another Dropbox account, associated with another email address of yours perhaps? 

When it comes to the events page, it's the place where all uploads, edits,  and deletions are normally logged. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

bella221
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Tried that but it says the account doesn't exist...

bella221
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Ah I see for the events page...

There's nothing on it except

Getting started (pdf)

VIN (word)

Public and Photos are both empty

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @bella221, let me jump in here as well and say that if any files are still saved in your account, they should all appear on your 'all files' page.

If you did have these files, but they got deleted at some point, more than 30 days ago, I'm afraid you won't be able to recover them now.

Sorry we can't be more helpful with this. 

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

bella221
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

OK, maybe I should explain a little more.

Last Thursday, June 30, I was happily translating away when my screen went blank and sparks and smoke started coming out of one side of my computer.

I quickly called a computer geek friend who had a look and said the computer was dead.

We went off to buy a new one.

Two days later I started installing material on the hard disk that my friend had extracted.

Ah, of course, I must recover my Dropbox files, I thought. So I duly typed in all info and was horrified to see that the events page was completely blank and all my files had gone. They hadn't been deleted and it had only been 5 days since the computer fire.

I reckon my files are still there somewhere but how I get at them is another question. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks for any help you can give me. I really hope to recover the files as Dropbox is where I store my day to day work, my translating and billing and various other things, including files for a club I belong to. I reckon I've lost about 3 months work!Bella

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    enzo_nardo New member | Level 2
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?