cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I being asked for admin permission when I delete files and folders?

Why am I being asked for admin permission when I delete files and folders?

Bill47pi
New member | Level 2

I'm the only user of my computer and when I try to make a deletion I'm told I need administrator permission.  

4 Replies 4

Not applicable

Hello @Bill47pi!

If you are using the desktop app, I recommend that you uninstall it and then reinstall it. If you are using https://www.dropbox.com, then I recommend that you clear your browser cookies and cache. I have provided step-by-step instructions, below:

How to Clear Browser Cookies and Cache

Chrome:

1. On your computer, open Chrome.
  2. At the top right, click More (the three dots)
  3. Click More tools then
     Clear browsing data.
  4. At the top, choose a time range. To delete everything, select All time.
  5. Next to "Cookies and other site data" and "Cached images and files," check the boxes.
  6. Click Clear data.

Firefox:

1. Click the menu button and select Preferences.
  2. Select the Privacy & Security panel and go to the Cookies and Site Data section.
  3. Click the Clear Data… button. The Clear Data dialog will appear.
    • Cookies and Site Data (to remove login status and site preferences) and Cached Web Content (to remove stored images, scripts and other cached content) should both be check marked.
  4. Click Clear.

I hope this helps!

-------------------------------

HeartDid this post help you? If so, please mark it for some Kudos below.  

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so, please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so, please provide some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

gapoe111
New member | Level 2

I established a dropbox account today. I transferred a file that is very large (2GB) I wish to remove the file from Dropbox. But it says I need permission from myself I guess to delete it. How can I remove this file? I'm the only one with access to it.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @gapoe111, thanks for reaching out to us.

Can you please give us a bit more info on how you added the file to your Dropbox?

Did you add a shared folder that someone else invited you to?

If you can also send us a screenshot of the error, that'd be really helpful too.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

gapoe111
New member | Level 2
Actually I was able to delete the file myself. It was quite easy once I navigated the web site (which was not easy). Thanks for your prompt reply to my email.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

gapoe111 New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    anonymous Not applicable
What do Dropbox user levels mean?