cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why did all of my files disappear?

Why did all of my files disappear?

Mark H.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

A folder that is owned by me and shared with two others is now empty. What happened to all of my image files? How do I get them back?

104 Replies 104

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for joining us here @motleytwins!

I'm sorry to hear about the frustrations you've had with this, I'd be more than happy to help with this.

Since you mentioned you're on a paid subscription, you should have access to the Dropbox Rewind feature. You can use this to rewind just a folder or even your whole account to a previous state.

If you've made some recent edits though that you don't want to lose, I'd suggest checking out your Events page as you'll be able to restore an event instead which might contain many deleted folders for example.

I hope this helps, let me know how it goes - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Nanalin1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I have experienced the same thing.... at least 50 folders still remain on my computer, but the contents of my folders, which were hundreds of files, disappeared!!! I had not made any changes to my account and i do not share my computer files with anyone... countless hours and lots of hard work wasted!!!

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @Nanalin1, I'm really sorry to hear about this!

Could you take a look at your Events page here to see if you can locate any deletion events or anything that would explain what you're experiencing there?

If the files have been mistakenly deleted, can you try restoring the files with the steps outlined here?

If you get any errors in the process, please send me a screenshot (excluding any personal info).

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

trjr
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I was using my dropbox account and had lots of files. I recently forgot my password and needed to get on urgently, after trying multiple times and not receiving a password, I used the google sign in option( used the same email address I always used for dropbox) . Signed in and all my files were deleted like I made a whole new account. now I cant recover anything and all my files are non existent.  Please help !

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @trjr, thanks for posting to our Community! 

It sounds like you created a different Dropbox account.

Can you check your events page, and let me know if you see any deletions there?

Cheers!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?