cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why did all of my files disappear?

Why did all of my files disappear?

Mark H.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

A folder that is owned by me and shared with two others is now empty. What happened to all of my image files? How do I get them back?

104 Replies 104

SODA S.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Lots of random files are missing - they have not been deleted or shared! HELP!

Linda S.13
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm having the same issue, folders are there but files are missing. I can see a couple of files I worked on several days ago but they only appear in the recents list - not in the folders where they belong. The folders I belong to are empty as well - so I know it's not me. If it were my fault - they'd be in the recently deleted. As I viewed  them on my phone I could see them disappear. Now there not in the Finder interface, not on the web, not on my phone. About the only thing I've done was sign up for a Paper account but I hadn't even gotten my invite (or signed in) before the files began to disappear. Ugh.

Linda S.13
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

We all seem to be having the same or very similar issues around the same date.  Dropbox??? What's up?

Nazril I.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hello Dropbox, I followed your instructions with TWEETING @dropboxsupport yesterday - no answer.  Loads of my FOLDERS and FILES are missing - at least those that i remember as i have set them up just recently.

I am a PRO user and paid money. The account is due on 24th december.

Please help by clarifying first - why does it say "deleted" when i was looking for them? Though I saw Recover File - but still doesnt explain why it went missing?

This raised lots of doubts about your service.  Please reply TQ

nazril.idrus@gmail.com

Hayley A.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

The same thing has happened to me too. I also pay for my dropbox account and use dropbox because I was under the impression that nothing was more reliable than backing work up in the cloud. I wanted to de-sync dropbox with one laptop to free up some space but when I realised this was un-necessary for various reasons, I re-synced it. I checked the account online on Sunday and there was no issue. This was over night between Sunday 13th Dec and Monday 14th Dec 2015. 

I use multiple devices for a mixture of freelance work and for all of my PhD studies as well as personal files like the back up for all of my photos and I have now lost everything - this equates to hundreds, if not thousands of files. I was also kicked out of all my shared folders which I have now re-joined but there was a huge amount of work that wasn't in shared folders - these are all gone. There is nothing in the deleted folder apart from a few files that all seem to be encrypted.

I am absolutely distraught and in desperate need of help. I have no idea what to do for the best. For instance, will it work to try and recover the files from time machine on the iMac I use? I have tweeted @dropboxsupport and emailed them from the contact section but I have received no response. 

Please help. 

Hayley

Hayley A.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I think everything might be solved... 

I just received an email from dropbox letting me know about a large deletion event. It looks like I have been able to restore my files from the event page rather than deleted file section (where nothing had shown up). 

Nazril I.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hey Hayley

What is "the event page"? I've got loads of files being deleted all over my dropbox.  It takes a long time to get them to recover

Thanks

karen N.6
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

all of my files (years of family pictures) are missing.  all of my folders say empty!  I shared none of them and no one has access to them except me.  my deleted files says nothing has been deleted, my shared files says nothing has been shared, my files are just all GONE!  with the exception on one picture.  literally all my family pictures for the past 10+ years are gone.  anyone please help.  I've been paying them monthly for the extra space thinking the files would be safe.  what can I do??  

Hayley A.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

HI Nazril and Karen, 

None of my missing files were in the deleted files section either. For me, I received an auto email notification from Dropbox (I have a gmail account so it went into the "updates" section) to say that it had noticed a large "deletion event". It gave me the option to restore my files from the events section. 

Go to your account home page and on the left hand side, under the dropbox icon, there is a list of options starting with "recents" and "files". Go the the "events" option. This is a record of all the changes made to files in your account. In the drop down menu in the top right, select "all" and set the date to just before everything went missing. As long as it happened in the last 30 days (unless you already pay for dropbox to keep hold of deleted files for longer) there should be an event there saying that your files have been deleted with an option to restore when you click through to that event. If there is no option to restore but you have found the event, email the dropbox support team with the link  to the event and they should be able to restore it for you. 

Hope that helps? I only just found this out myself. 

karen N.6
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

thanks, I tried that and it said that there were no events.  I'm just extremely suspicious because it is sooooo hard to get a hold of anyone by email, not to mention impossible by phone.  makes me so darn angry!!!  thanks for the help though.  I do appreciate it!

Need more support?