cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why did all of my files disappear?

Why did all of my files disappear?

Mark H.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

A folder that is owned by me and shared with two others is now empty. What happened to all of my image files? How do I get them back?

104 Replies 104

Marcus O.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Most of the time, it comes down to several points:

• user error (accidentally dragged out of Dropbox on another computer)
  • shared folder misunderstandings (another use drag files out of shared folder, which removes it from your Dropbox)
  • 3rd party software (malicious or not, like Cryptolockers, disk cleaning utilities)

This page should tell you which user has committed the deletion/editing/movement of your files:

https://www.dropbox.com/events 

If it says that you are the one who did it, then you may want to investigate the computer you are using at the stated deleted time.

You may refer to this page for assistance in determining your active browsers sessions, devices linked to your Dropbox, and 3rd party apps with Dropbox access:

https://www.dropbox.com/account/security

Brendan C.7
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

About 2 weeks ago thousands (>50,000) of my photos and files were randomly deleted from my Dropbox. Luckily, I noticed this right away but, unfortunately, there is no way to restore all of the files at ones. In order to get the files back I would have to go through every folder one by one restoring the random deleted files. I contacted Dropbox(via the online chat option) asking them to restore the files and provided them with links to the deletion events. A week later I had not heard from them and could not find a number to call them. I upgraded my account to a business one because of the promise of improved customer service and submitted another request for help. When I submitted the request I got a message saying they would respond in 12 hours. It is now more than 3 days later and I still have not heard from them and my files are still deleted. There are no responses to my prior requests as well. Has anyone else had similar issues and does anyone know of a better way to contact Dropbox? Is this the same Dropbox bug that people were reporting in 2014?

Rick G.17
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm having as massive deletion event. I'm missing SEVERAL HUNDREDS of files that are project critical. Brendan, you aren't the only one.

Radcliffe Desig
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

My files were uploaded; shared; and are now missing. I just uploaded the 2 zipped ones again; they disappeared 4 minutes later!

Eden N.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Many of my files missing. I don't trust Dropbox anymore. Important files better not stored in Dropbox.

Sandy C.11
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have seen prior posts for disappearing dropbox files and am experiencing the same thing.  Entire client files are gone and I have no idea when they disappeared.  Has anyone had any resolution of this or still experiencing it?  Thank you.

William R.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same thing here, random files and folders missing. Not sure how many, though most are in folders that were recently worked in. No events in the log file, and no entries in the deletion record, they are just gone. 

I have been able to identify that they seem to have all been removed at around 2:20 on 9/16 by viewing the dates on deleted folders during the restoration process. 

Once I find them, I can restore them, but without it showing up in the activity log, it is nearly impossible to see what is missing. This is the third time this has happened to me, and is more than a nuisance. 

Has anyone had any sort of positive resolution on this?

optelec B.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same here, a user messed within a shared folder my dropbox, but my deleted files are nowhere to be found...

Trish P.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I lost years of family photos just like Karen N. All of a sudden my events showed no history, my deleted files showed nothing, and it's very suspicious! And you can't contact Dropbox by phone. I would never recommend anyone using Dropbox for their photos. I'm back to the old USB drive to save photos from now on. I contacted them and they made it seem like I must not have synched them if they don't show up which is total bull. Thanks to Dropbox, I also lost 10 years of family photos!!! Terrible, terrible app. Dropbox is garbage and so is their customer service!!!! Do yourselves a favor and don't save important files using Dropbox. You will be very disappointed once Dropbox deletes them on you!

James S.81
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

why is it so hard to get in touch with anyone with Dropbox?? is it because they have that many issues??

All of my folders are there but all the files in them are gone.. Find it impossible to get a response.

Need more support?