cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the Dropbox Desktop App no longer available?

Why is the Dropbox Desktop App no longer available?

thecandidate
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The dropbox desktop app had such a great user interface and was a good workflow for our team.. unfortunately as of 17 Jan 2022, it has been dropped.. I wonder why this change was made, and i'm just hoping the application is being improved instead of being killed.

What we enjoyed out of the desktop app was the ability to pin specific files to the main dropbox for quick access, which everyone was able to identify quickly. with the Finder app, it was hard to see pinned items, and with the website, its a redundant process – requiring lots of extra steps – having to open up the website to identify the folder before pinning them. the website does not give as much visual cues as the desktop app previously had. 

Please, dropbox, #bringitback! 

84 Replies 84

PaigeHoffman2011
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I absolutely loved the desktop Dropbox app. It was way more user friendly than it is in File Explorer. The little taskbar Dropbox has absolutely no use whatsoever. I am so frustrated that Dropbox just decided to remove this. The way the app was setup I was able to edit my files so much faster than I can now in File Explorer plus it had useful features that File Explorer just doesn't have. Dropbox instead of improving and moving forward has taken a huge step back. This has really hurt my efficiency and time management when it comes to editing files. I will have to explore other options if Dropbox doesn't bring back the desktop version soon.

Kim12
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Seems like it's time to find another service. Hate to do it as I've used Dropbox practically since it started up, but the online version sucks and I don't always have internet (travel a lot) so it seems Dropbox will no longer work for me or my business. Too bad they screwed up a good thing!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Kim12 wrote:

... it seems Dropbox will no longer work for me or my business. Too bad they screwed up a good thing!

How will it no longer work for you? The Dropbox application that handles syncing to your computer still exists and always has. It's just one feature of the app that was removed (the built-in file manager). Other than that, the app is the same as you've been using since it started up.

NBAlex
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This functionality was extremely useful as you can immediately browse files via the desktop tool and open files in their native app. (e.g find a PSD, double-click it, and it opens in photoshop, etc). For some bizarre reason, this functionality was removed this year, and judging by the threads about it, nobody has been happy with the removal of it.  If I wanted to open a file in explorer, as I sometimes do, I will simply select that option. 

Please return the functionality. It is extremely useful when handling folders containing thousands of files.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @talhaZafar, could you clarify to which interface you're referring exactly? 

Are you referring to the desktop app that was deprecated back in January? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    NBAlex Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
    Kim12 New member | Level 2
    PaigeHoffman2011 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?