cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Yesterday Dropbox Synced Entire Folders To Content From Months Ago

Yesterday Dropbox Synced Entire Folders To Content From Months Ago

dkobia
Helpful | Level 5

Inexplicably I woke up to huge swaths of dropbox conflicted copies and content in hundreds of files reverted to states from months ago. Also, it looks like Dropbox is trying to sync everything again. This is absolutely insane and I've lost days of work in the process.

How in the hell would Dropbox revert files automatically to months ago in the middle of the night? My event history shows me as adding files at some point in the middle of the night when I was asleep. How could I possibly add older versions of files from months ago that I no longer have? As you can see from my rewind graph an insane amount of activity happened in the middle of the night. I woke up to Dropbox on high cpu and syncing everything over again. Please advice. This is likely the end of my Dropbox journey after more than a decade of membership.

Screenshot 2023-09-30 at 8.42.03 AM.png

2 Replies 2

dkobia
Helpful | Level 5

Some more context. It looks like files were reverted to states as far back as February 2023, with the newer files set to conflicted copies. The only folders affected are anything I touched this week (2023-09-23 - 2023-09-30).

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @dkobia, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

If I understand correctly, what happened is some folders in your Dropbox folder resynced and the new versions of your files were added in conflicted folders, whereas the files in the original folders reverted back to older versions, is that right?

This is quite strange, but let's see what we can find out.

Did something happen to your hard drive during this time?

Have you looked into this article with reasons why conflicted copies are created, to see if that helps in figuring out why this might have happened?

Let me know.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?