cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

API calls for web application

API calls for web application

mridul_kapil
Explorer | Level 3

I am creating a web application for my University project which will allow users to login to their Dropbox account and allow them to upload files to their Dropbox and read the files. I am confused if one who's using my application going to call through my Dropbox app API or they are going to use their own API calls because I am worried about the limit and charges if everyone who's using my application is using my API calls to upload or access to their Dropbox. Please answer me with this ASAP so I can continue building it.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: API calls for web application

Greg-DB
Dropboxer

Use of the Dropbox API itself is actually entirely free. You can build an app that uses the Dropbox API that any kind of Dropbox account can connect to. It is only if the owners of any individual (or group of) accounts want to upgrade is there cost involved. You can see more information on pricing and plans here: https://www.dropbox.com/plans

When a user connects your app to their account, they are using their own files and storage. They are still just subject to their own storage quota limit.

Also, the Dropbox API does have a rate limiting system, to limit how many calls per time period can be made. It is only designed to prevent abuse though, and is accordingly relatively generous. Further, the limits operate on a per-user basis. That being the case, you generally don't need to worry about hitting it in normal use. Also note that not all 429s and 503s indicate explicit rate limiting, but in any case that you get a 429 or 503 the best practice is to retry the request, respecting the Retry-After header if given in the response, or using an exponential back-off, if not.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropboxer

Use of the Dropbox API itself is actually entirely free. You can build an app that uses the Dropbox API that any kind of Dropbox account can connect to. It is only if the owners of any individual (or group of) accounts want to upgrade is there cost involved. You can see more information on pricing and plans here: https://www.dropbox.com/plans

When a user connects your app to their account, they are using their own files and storage. They are still just subject to their own storage quota limit.

Also, the Dropbox API does have a rate limiting system, to limit how many calls per time period can be made. It is only designed to prevent abuse though, and is accordingly relatively generous. Further, the limits operate on a per-user basis. That being the case, you generally don't need to worry about hitting it in normal use. Also note that not all 429s and 503s indicate explicit rate limiting, but in any case that you get a 429 or 503 the best practice is to retry the request, respecting the Retry-After header if given in the response, or using an exponential back-off, if not.

View solution in original post

mridul_kapil
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for the response.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mridul_kapil Explorer | Level 3
    Greg-DB Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?