cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get data in Url by Token flow ?

How to get data in Url by Token flow ?

Zard
Explorer | Level 4

https://localhost:8080/authorize#access_token=ABCDEFG&token_type=bearer&account_id=dbid%3AAAH4f99T0taONIb-OurWxbNQ6ywGRopQngc&uid=12345&state=[STATE]

As docs said, the data is behind of # in url, so how can I get them ?

Thanks in advance!

6 Replies 6

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @Zard,

There are number of examples showing it. What would be best for you depends on what tools you're using. A good example, I think, can be seen here. 😉

Hope this helps.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Zard As Здравко noted, you can find an example of getting the information from the URL in that example in the SDK.

The "token" flow is no longer recommended in general though, in favor of the "code" flow, using PKCE for client-side apps, such as shown in this PKCE example in the Dropbox JavaScript SDK. You can find more information in the authorization documentation.

Zard
Explorer | Level 4

It's my fault, I am using Net Core, the examples code of .net is too old, I can't understanf them.

I try to use Restsharp to post http request. I tried the code flow, but it's complex with OAuth 2.0, and I see Token Flow can get token directly, so I wan to try it, but I can't get data from url easily.

This is my first to use OAuth 2.0, When integrating other APIs, they only need apikey, apiSecret, or token to complete authentication, I Just want to use Dropbox api when users are uploading files. and My app is like that:

/contents/authorize: I add this action to get code, but it return me a html code in content of response.

/contents/token: this action to to receive code and to get a token by api.

/contents: upload files and submit form data, but I can not get token directly by one action, it needs to redirect to html and back, that I can not get token directly when submitting form.

would you help me solve this? Although it can get token by two actions, I just want use api when submit form, thanks a lot.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@Zard wrote:

It's my fault, I am using Net Core, the examples code of .net is too old, I can't understanf them.

Hi again @Zard,

Yes, the examples can be more... familiar/convenient to newbie users... for sure.

@Zard wrote:

..., and I see Token Flow can get token directly, so I wan to try it, but I can't get data from url easily.

Keep in mind that all access tokens are short lived, so you cannot use them for long running task! For long term access you need refresh token. Through URL directly can be fetch access token only. That's why you may need to perform code flow as Greg mentioned earlier above.

@Zard wrote:

This is my first to use OAuth 2.0, When integrating other APIs, they only need apikey, apiSecret, or token to complete authentication, ...

It's similar with Dropbox API too. The only difference is that the token, you're talking about, has to be refresh token, not access token! 😉 They are different things.

@Zard wrote:

..., I Just want to use Dropbox api when users are uploading files. and My app is like that:

/contents/authorize: I add this action to get code, but it return me a html code in content of response.

/contents/token: this action to to receive code and to get a token by api.

/contents: upload files and submit form data, but I can not get token directly by one action, it needs to redirect to html and back, that I can not get token directly when submitting form.

🙂 Keep in mind that /oauth2/authorize is web page where a user of your application (or you as a user) would start granting access for your application to the corresponding account. It's NOT access point (i.e. something that need to be called)! You have to open it (once prepared) in web browser and copy the authorization code from there by hand (without redirect URL) or 'catch it' using redirect URL in the application. 😉 After that, once you have that code, you can use /oauth2/token to receive/materialize the code to tokens. Detailed steps can be seen here (without redirect URL).

In .Net you can take a look on the example here. In Program.cs can be seen automatic OAuth flow organization alongside other things. If it's too complex for you, replace 'AcquireAccessToken' method with the following:

private async Task<string> AcquireAccessToken()
{
    var accessToken = Settings.Default.AccessToken;
    var refreshToken = Settings.Default.RefreshToken;
    var uid = Settings.Default.Uid;

if (string.IsNullOrEmpty(refreshToken))
    {
        try
        {
            Console.WriteLine("Waiting for credentials.");
            var state = Guid.NewGuid().ToString("N");
            var pkceObject = new PKCEOAuthFlow();
            var authorizeUri = pkceObject.GetAuthorizeUri(
                OAuthResponseType.Code, ApiKey, RedirectUri.ToString(),
                tokenAccessType: TokenAccessType.Offline, state: state,
                includeGrantedScopes: IncludeGrantedScopes.User);
            Console.WriteLine("authorizeUri: {0}", authorizeUri);
            var http = new HttpListener();
            http.Prefixes.Add(LoopbackHost);

http.Start();

System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(authorizeUri.ToString());

var context = await http.GetContextAsync();
            Console.WriteLine("QueryString: {0}", context.Request.Url);

var responseUri = context.Request.Url;

context.Response.ContentType = "text/html; charset=utf-8";

using (var file = File.OpenRead("index.html"))
            {
                file.CopyTo(context.Response.OutputStream);
            }

context.Response.OutputStream.Close();
            http.Stop();

OAuth2Response credResponse = await pkceObject.ProcessCodeFlowAsync(responseUri, ApiKey, RedirectUri.ToString(), state);
            Console.WriteLine("credResponse: {0}", credResponse.ToString());

accessToken = credResponse.AccessToken;
            refreshToken = credResponse.RefreshToken;
            uid = credResponse.Uid;
            Console.WriteLine("ScopeList: {0}", credResponse.ScopeList);
            Settings.Default.AccessToken = accessToken;
            Settings.Default.Uid = uid;
            Settings.Default.RefreshToken = refreshToken;
            Settings.Default.Save();
        }
        catch (Exception e)
        {
            Console.WriteLine("Error: {0}", e.Message);
            return null;
        }
    }

return uid;
}

I think the above is a bit more clear. The file "index.html" inside is as follows:

<html>
  <head>
    <meta charset="UTF-8">
    <link href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Nunito+Sans:400,400i,700,900&display=swap" rel="stylesheet">
  </head>
    <style>
      body {
        text-align: center;
        padding: 40px 0;
        background: #EBF0F5;
      }
        h1 {
          color: #88B04B;
          font-family: "Nunito Sans", "Helvetica Neue", sans-serif;
          font-weight: 900;
          font-size: 40px;
          margin-bottom: 10px;
        }
        p {
          color: #404F5E;
          font-family: "Nunito Sans", "Helvetica Neue", sans-serif;
          font-size:20px;
          margin: 0;
        }
      i {
        color: #9ABC66;
        font-size: 100px;
        line-height: 200px;
        margin-left:-15px;
      }
      .card {
        background: white;
        padding: 60px;
        border-radius: 4px;
        box-shadow: 0 2px 3px #C8D0D8;
        display: inline-block;
        margin: 0 auto;
      }
    </style>
    <body>
      <div class="card">
      <div style="border-radius:200px; height:200px; width:200px; background: #F8FAF5; margin:0 auto;">
        <i class="checkmark">✓</i>
      </div>
        <h1>Успех</h1> 
        <p>🎉 Успешно свързахте приложението си,<br/>може да продължите използването му! 😉</p>
      </div>
    </body>
</html>

Here everything is performed in one step of redirection - no second needed.

Hope this makes the things much more clear.

Zard
Explorer | Level 4

oh, no , it's not we want to do. we want users to upload files and leave their information, no any other actios, but your request page just upload files and type the poor name, and email is used to receive email.

what we need is just like that: https://filerequestpro.com/up/demo

why do they can use api directly? not need users to approve the app.

I can't understand why Dropbox use this way to call API, the those apps we used are not like this. 🤐

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@Zard, I hope you understood how it works finally. You can do whatever you want once you have client object created and initialized properly (including everything enumerated by you, but not only). Whether it's convenient for you and is it fine for usage - it's your decision. Something more, the frontend of your page has nothing to do with the API (and corresponding provider) you'll choose to use - it can stay the same. 😉 API related things will be performed on the back end - inaccessible for the end users (something that they don't need to know anything about).

Good luck.

PS: By the way it's bad practice to embed any token (if it's API related - doesn't matter what API) in the page - this is could be a security compromise! It's predispose your account to be hacked! I hope the one you have embedded in you page is just a hash - otherwise it's matter of time somebody to 'joke' with you. 😁

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    Zard Explorer | Level 4
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?