cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help in connecting drop box API

Need help in connecting drop box API

Shriram
New member | Level 2

Hi Team,

I want to upload files from one dropox folder to another and i want to automate this job using azure logic app.

I dont want to use drop box connectors provided by logic app , instead i want to write a .net core webapi which will connect to my dropbox app and then using dropbox http api's it can start uploading files.

Dropbox supports .net SDK which contains helper classes to connnect to dropbox and it uses Oauth2 for authorization. I don't want to use oauth code flow where owner of dropbox account has to allow permissions from front end browser.

Instead i want something like passing client and client secret for the app and it should return me an access token which will be used to call dropbox apis .

Thanks and Regards,

Shriram

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

The Dropbox API does not offer a way to get an access token just by exchanging the app key and secret. The app key and secret only identify your app itself. In order to access a Dropbox account, the app needs authorization from the account owner. 

Typically, to get authorization from the user and receive an access token for the end-user, the app should implement and use the OAuth app authorization flow. You can find information on how this works in the OAuth Guide.

Note that if you only need to access your own account though, you can just manually get an access token for your own account once and then store and re-use that for API calls to your account without further manual intervention. Make sure you don't expose your access token to other users though.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?