cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared paper extension file is giving unsupported linkt_ype error when trying fetch the content

Shared paper extension file is giving unsupported linkt_ype error when trying fetch the content

akanshikumari
Explorer | Level 3

I am trying to fetch the content of a file(untitled.paper) using API: https://content.dropboxapi.com/2/sharing/get_shared_link_file
But I am getting the below shared error.

Is there a way to get the content of a shared file?

{
    "error_summary": "unsupported_link_type/.",
    "error": {
        ".tag": "unsupported_link_type"
    }
}

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@akanshikumari Здравко is correct; the Dropbox API doesn't offer a way to do this directly, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @akanshikumari,

As noted in /2/sharing/get_shared_link_file documentation:

Download the shared link's file from a user's Dropbox.

In other words, you can use this access point to download... downloadable files only. 😉 The file you're trying to download is NOT a downloadable one, it is exportable!

As noted in the same documentation a bit further (error messages):

unsupported_link_type Void This type of link is not supported; use files.export instead.

In other words, you can use /2/files/export to export some non downloadable file. Unfortunately, you cannot do this on link and that's why you need to save the pointed file in accessible Dropbox account (temporary is enough) using /2/files/save_url. Let's hope this imperfection will be fixed - i.e. direct export to be possible on link (as is already through web view).

Hope this helps.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@akanshikumari Здравко is correct; the Dropbox API doesn't offer a way to do this directly, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though.

akanshikumari
Explorer | Level 3

As mentioned in dropbox export API we need to pass the path of file in headers.. But I am not getting path for shared file/folders in any of the listed API's:

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

The path fields are "optional", meaning they are not guaranteed to be set. The path fields will not be set if the file is not mounted in the connected account. In your screenshot, the path fields are not set, meaning they are not mounted in the account for the access token you're using, and so there is no path value to return.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    akanshikumari Explorer | Level 3
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?