cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webhooks

Webhooks

user44
Explorer | Level 4

I would like to make a feature request, to please add functionality of subscribing to particular or specific events. For example in my test OAuth2 client application I envision using events when user add or delete a file or folder in their Dropbox account and not the ones coming for every file change, but in its current form I am getting generic events for everything happening. 

Furthermore, there is no field to see what sort of event happened, only way I could see is I need to make a call to /list_folder endpoint and traverse the whole thing to see what has actually happened. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks! I'll pass this along as a feature request, though I can't promise if or when that might be implemented.

And yes, Dropbox webhooks only tell you when something has changed, but not what has changed. You'll need to use the /2/files/list_folder[/continue] functionality to get the actual entries. You don't need to start anew from /2/files/list_folder every time though. You can use /2/files/list_folder/continue with the last cursor you received to retrieve only the changes since that cursor was issued. Refer to the linked documentation for more information on using that functionality.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks! I'll pass this along as a feature request, though I can't promise if or when that might be implemented.

And yes, Dropbox webhooks only tell you when something has changed, but not what has changed. You'll need to use the /2/files/list_folder[/continue] functionality to get the actual entries. You don't need to start anew from /2/files/list_folder every time though. You can use /2/files/list_folder/continue with the last cursor you received to retrieve only the changes since that cursor was issued. Refer to the linked documentation for more information on using that functionality.

user44
Explorer | Level 4

That is quite helpful, thanks for directing me toward the right direction.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

user44 Explorer | Level 4
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?