cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

free account App API Root access still remains the same after merging with paid account

free account App API Root access still remains the same after merging with paid account

sbrownnw
Explorer | Level 4

Started with a free Dropbox account that I setup an App for and was able to generate manual auth tokens to access it using the Dropbox .Net API.  Everything worked as expected with App API "Root" access being the topmost folder.

Then a paid Dropbox account was setup and I was invited to join that paid account.  My original "Free App" for token auth and API usage was brought along plus a new App was setup with Full Dropbox access:

sbrownnw_0-1688666308034.png

No matter which App I use (the previous free App or the new Full Dropbox access App), when I generate a token manually under that app, my default user folder is always treated as "root" as circled below:

sbrownnw_1-1688666417928.png

How do I access other folders that I have access to in the Dropbox web UI (pictured below) when my root is always my topmost user folder?

sbrownnw_2-1688666507595.png

Again, I tested with an auth token that had Full Dropbox App Scope and Access.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @sbrownnw,

@sbrownnw wrote:

No matter which App I use (the previous free App or the new Full Dropbox access App), when I generate a token manually under that app, my default user folder is always treated as "root" as circled below: ...

No you have a wrong assumption! Dropbox application always gets access to users home directory by default (if nothing else has been set), wherever it is. The same is valid starting from individual free, paid,.. up to advanced plan - always the same. The difference is that for all individual plans home folder coincide with the account root, but for Business plans it's not always true (as shown on the examples you provided). In some cases user folder appear a subfolder of the root and in such a case you only have access to this folder, but not to the others subfolders of the root - by default.

To get access to there you have to change the default namespace (home) in use to the root one. For more info about namespaces nature and management take a look here. In DotNet environment you can use something like following to do the described in referred help article:

client = client.WithPathRoot(new PathRoot.Root(account.RootInfo.RootNamespaceId));

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @sbrownnw,

@sbrownnw wrote:

No matter which App I use (the previous free App or the new Full Dropbox access App), when I generate a token manually under that app, my default user folder is always treated as "root" as circled below: ...

No you have a wrong assumption! Dropbox application always gets access to users home directory by default (if nothing else has been set), wherever it is. The same is valid starting from individual free, paid,.. up to advanced plan - always the same. The difference is that for all individual plans home folder coincide with the account root, but for Business plans it's not always true (as shown on the examples you provided). In some cases user folder appear a subfolder of the root and in such a case you only have access to this folder, but not to the others subfolders of the root - by default.

To get access to there you have to change the default namespace (home) in use to the root one. For more info about namespaces nature and management take a look here. In DotNet environment you can use something like following to do the described in referred help article:

client = client.WithPathRoot(new PathRoot.Root(account.RootInfo.RootNamespaceId));

Hope this helps.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?