cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shared_link_access_denied error with get_shared_link_file and new "/scl" link with file password

shared_link_access_denied error with get_shared_link_file and new "/scl" link with file password

TedDC
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I'm trying to download a file protected by password using get_shared_link_file with the new formatted "/scl" shared links but this still results in a shared_link_access_denied response.

Link, password and bearer are good and same query works fine for month with old "/s" format.

6 Replies 6

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

I'll be happy to help with any issues you're having with the Dropbox API, but I'll need some more information. Please reply with:

• the access type (full Dropbox or app folder) of the app registration you're using
  • the name and version number of the Dropbox SDK/library you are using, if any
  • the steps to reproduce the issue, including relevant code snippet(s) and parameter value(s), but don't include any access or refresh token(s)
  • the full text of any error or unexpected output

If you'd prefer to share privately, please open an API ticket here. Thanks!

TedDC
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Greg,

It's an app folder access type and I'm using the Dropbox API v2 for HTTP Developers (https://www.dropbox.com/developers/documentation/http/documentation#sharing-get_shared_link_file).

This is the relative path to the file (it's just a zipped text file with no extension) :

Dropbox/AppName/Records/59

Shared link created with create_shared_link_with_settings and password "ABC59". I also tried to create this link with the context menu, the same share link is generated.

Sample query (works fine for other files, like "/58", but with legacy formatting):

Authorization: Bearer <access token>

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8

Dropbox-API-Arg: {"url": "https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/<specific_link>&dl=1","link_password": "ABC59"}

Response :

HTTP 401 Unauthorized

Content-Type: application/json

Content-Security-Policy: sandbox allow-forms allow-scripts

Server: envoy

Accept-Encoding: identity,gzip

Cache-Control: no-cache

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 18:13:03 GMT

X-Robots-Tag: noindex, nofollow, noimageindex

Strict-Transport-Security: max-age=31536000; includeSubDomains; preload

Content-Length: 87

X-Dropbox-Response-Origin: far_remote

X-Dropbox-Request-Id: 594fb26ba13341a1bfc614ffd9b1998a

X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff

Www-Authenticate: Bearer realm="Dropbox-API"

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks! Can you double check this sample is for a 'shared_link_access_denied' error though? This sample has a 401 status code, but errors like 'shared_link_access_denied' would be expected to have a 409 status code. A 401 indicates an authorization issue, like an invalid or expired access token, for example. In any case, you should check the response body for the error message to see the cause.

TedDC
Explorer | Level 3

Sorry, I got the header wrong in my previous post because I tried multiple solutions. Here is the good one :

HTTP 409 Conflict

Content-Type: application/json

Content-Security-Policy: sandbox allow-forms allow-scripts

Server: envoy

Accept-Encoding: identity,gzip

Cache-Control: no-cache

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 18:51:52 GMT

X-Robots-Tag: noindex, nofollow, noimageindex

Strict-Transport-Security: max-age=31536000; includeSubDomains; preload

Content-Length: 98

X-Dropbox-Response-Origin: far_remote

X-Dropbox-Request-Id: 4cbdabcd9ff14e8ca6675a62d6023936

X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff

Body :

{
"error_summary": "shared_link_access_denied/...",
"error": {
".tag": "shared_link_access_denied"
}
}

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks, that's helpful. Please try again but using an access token for an app with the "full Dropbox" access type instead of "app folder". There's currently a bug that can cause this error on this endpoint when calling with an access token for an app folder app. 

TedDC
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Greg, it seems to work that way.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

TedDC Explorer | Level 3
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?