cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

API Call using Integromat returns error

API Call using Integromat returns error

Leon_NAM
Helpful | Level 5

Hey there,

I want to create an automated API Call to our company's Dropbox that creates a folder with only select user groups having access. To do that I am using the Dropbox "Make an API Call"-module in Integromat and "/share_folder". I have tested it both with a path that is an existing folder and with one that would create a new folder but every time I run the operation I get the error "The operation failed with an error. [401] missing_scope/".

I am an absolute beginner with this stuff but after doing some reading on this forum I suspect that the connection to Dropbox is read-only. Especially since API Calls like get_metadata or list_folders work just fine. What I am wondering is: How do I find out what kinds of permissions an app that is authorized within Dropbox has (Integromat in this case)? Should I ditch the pre-made module and just make the call using the generic HTTP modules?

Here is the full input I am giving the module:

URL: /2/sharing/share_folder (relative to https://api.dropboxapi.com)

Body: {

"path": "/not a machine cloud/projekte/2021/21012 - casefilm google barklaycard - acht - jm/test",    "acl_update_policy": "editors",

"force_async": false,

"member_policy": "team",

"shared_link_policy": "members",

"access_inheritance": "inherit"

}

Dropbox API Endpoint: api

Method: POST

Headers:

Key: Content-Type

Value: application/json

Disable Dropbox API Path Root: false

Thanks a lot in advance!

Cheers,

Leon

14 Replies 14

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@Leon_NAM wrote:
... I am using the Dropbox "Make an API Call"-module in Integromat and "/share_folder". I have tested it both with a path that is an existing folder and with one that would create a new folder but every time I run the operation I get the error "The operation failed with an error. [401] missing_scope/".

Hi @Leon_NAM,

Your call (the 2/sharing/share_folder call) requires "sharing.write" scope enabled to your application. Have you enabled it? 🧐

@Leon_NAM wrote:

.... Especially since API Calls like get_metadata or list_folders work just fine. What I am wondering is: How do I find out what kinds of permissions an app that is authorized within Dropbox has (Integromat in this case)? ...

Call 2/files/get_metadata required scope is "files.metadata.read". Call 2/sharing/list_folders required scope is "sharing.read". All points you're mentioning have different scopes. You can see those scopes in the documentation (follow the links). According to the described by you, your application has "files.metadata.read" and "sharing.read" scopes, but missing the "sharing.write" one (and probably others too)! Check all your calls required scopes and make sure they are on for the application. 😉

Hope this helps.

Leon_NAM
Helpful | Level 5

Hey there,

thanks for the detailed reply! Now I definetely understand why it's throwing an error. I am not making the app however it is a web-based integration software (https://www.integromat.com/) so it looks like the problem is that their app doesn't request "enough" access when you connect it to Dropbox.

UPDATE: I made some progress. The problem here is that integromat doesn't ask for the extended permissions until it needs them for one of the Dropbox preset modules they offer. As soon as you try to use one of them (e.g. Create Folder) it allows you to update the permissions of the app. It's a bit cumbersome but it might have worked (now I am getting a 409 instead of a 401 error which is probably due to missing permissions my account has)

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@Leon_NAM wrote:
... now I am getting a 409 instead of a 401 error which is probably due to missing permissions my account has)

HTTP status code isn't enough for reason conclusion. Pay attention on error text (as you did within OP)! There you can see the exact error text and probably precise error description (or direction to, at least).

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

That's correct, a "missing_scope" error indicates that the access token being used isn't authorized with the particular scope needed to access that endpoint, and so the call is not allowed. You'd instead need to get an access token with that scope authorized.

A 409 error would indicate a different kind of endpoint-specific error. You should check the response body for more specific error information.

Leon_NAM
Helpful | Level 5

Hey,

thanks for the replies. You are both right of course. Just saying "there is a [409] no_permission/.. error" is hardly enough information to go on. Sadly integromat does not supply any further information on the error...

My input is the same as last time:

URL
/2/sharing/share_folder

Body
{ "path": "/not a machine cloud/projekte/2021/21012 - casefilm google barklaycard - acht - jm/test", "acl_update_policy": "editors", "force_async": false, "member_policy": "team", "shared_link_policy": "members", "access_inheritance": "no_inherit" }

Dropbox API Endpoint
api

Method
Headers
Key
Content-Type
Value
application/json

Disable Dropbox API Path Root
false

Any idea where I could start looking to get to the bottom of this?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@Leon_NAM wrote:
.... Just saying "there is a [409] no_permission/.. error" ...

Hi @Leon_NAM,

Yes, sometimes the error message isn't too verbose. 🤷 It's clear though that some permissions are missing. Do you able to share the same folder, using web interface, in context of the same account? 🤔 Are you (as account) the folder owner? Do you have rights to do that? Is some other shared folder within the one you are trying to share or does 'test' folder reside within a shared folder?

Leon_NAM
Helpful | Level 5

Hey @Здравко ,

thanks for the hint. I was using the /share_folder call on a folder that was created by another team member and in it the call was supposed to create a folder called 'test'. I wanted to take this out of the equation for now as it might be fixed if I give the Integromat app more permissions in the dropbox but I can't access those preferences right now. 

So what I did to test the actual API call is I went into the root folder (a folder I most definetely own) and executed the program. I do get a new error here (which I would say is a success!) and it reads: "[400] Error in call to API function "sharing/share_folder": request body: could not decode input as JSON". Did I do something wrong in the body of the call?

Here's my input:

URL
/2/sharing/share_folder

Body
{    "path": "/not a machine cloud/test",    "acl_update_policy": "editors",    "force_async": false,    "member_policy": "team",    "shared_link_policy": "members",    "access_inheritance": "no_inherit"}

Dropbox API Endpoint
api

Method
Headers:

Key
Content-Type

Value
application/json

--
Disable Dropbox API Path Root
false

Thanks for all your help!

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

A "request body: could not decode input as JSON" should indicate that the request body the app is sending is not valid JSON, and so could not be parsed by the Dropbox API server as the parameters for the call. The body you showed here appears to be valid JSON though, and I can't reproduce the issue using it; can you double check that that's the exact value your client is sending? It may help to enable verbose output showing the actual raw HTTP request you're sending, if possible.

Leon_NAM
Helpful | Level 5

Hey @Greg-DB thanks for your response! I have decided to ditch the premade module and go for the regular "HTTP - Make an OAuth 2.0 request" module to try to make this call. This one actually gives me the same error but a lot more information on the input and output so here it goes (in place of <OAuth Code> I have put my token from the app console) :

Input:

[
    {
        "ca": null,
        "qs": [],
        "url": "https://api.dropboxapi.com/2/sharing/share_folder",
        "data": "{    \"path\": \"/not a machine cloud/test\",    \"acl_update_policy\": \"editors\",    \"force_async\": false,    \"member_policy\": \"team\",    \"shared_link_policy\": \"members\",    \"access_inheritance\": \"no_inherit\"}",
        "gzip": true,
        "method": "post",
        "headers": [
            {
                "name": "Authorization",
                "value": "Bearer <OAuth Code>"
            }
        ],
        "timeout": null,
        "useMtls": false,
        "bodyType": "raw",
        "contentType": "application/json",
        "serializeUrl": false,
        "shareCookies": false,
        "parseResponse": false,
        "followRedirect": true,
        "useQuerystring": false,
        "followAllRedirects": false,
        "rejectUnauthorized": true
    }

Output:

[
    {
        "statusCode": 400,
        "headers": [
            {
                "name": "cache-control",
                "value": "no-cache"
            },
            {
                "name": "content-security-policy",
                "value": "sandbox allow-forms allow-scripts"
            },
            {
                "name": "x-content-type-options",
                "value": "nosniff"
            },
            {
                "name": "content-type",
                "value": "text/plain; charset=utf-8"
            },
            {
                "name": "accept-encoding",
                "value": "identity,gzip"
            },
            {
                "name": "date",
                "value": "Thu, 16 Dec 2021 12:48:46 GMT"
            },
            {
                "name": "server",
                "value": "envoy"
            },
            {
                "name": "content-length",
                "value": "98"
            },
            {
                "name": "x-dropbox-response-origin",
                "value": "far_remote"
            },
            {
                "name": "x-dropbox-request-id",
                "value": "66fdbaa00e7f4eccbc5f1d3d78199118"
            },
            {
                "name": "connection",
                "value": "close"
            }
        ],
        "cookieHeaders": [],
        "data": "Error in call to API function \"sharing/share_folder\": request body: could not decode input as JSON",
        "fileSize": 98
    }
]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Leon_NAM Helpful | Level 5
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?