cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: API V2 temporary upload link max file size

API V2 temporary upload link max file size

Hen4
Explorer | Level 3

Hi all,

I'm creating an "anonymous" upload functionality (where the user-facing page does not have access to my dropbox tokens) and use the /get_temporary_upload_link method for this.

This generally works great, except that when the uploaded file exceeds exactly 314572800 bytes (300MB) the server throws an 409 Conflict error.

< HTTP/1.1 409 Conflict
< Cache-Control: no-cache
< Referrer-Policy: no-referrer
< Vary: Origin
< X-Robots-Tag: noindex, nofollow, noimageindex
< Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
< Accept-Encoding: identity,gzip
< Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 21:43:47 GMT
< Server: envoy
< Content-Length: 41
< Strict-Transport-Security: max-age=31536000; includeSubDomains; preload
< X-Dropbox-Response-Origin: far_remote
< X-Dropbox-Request-Id: 0e26ce42d620479e845ed0f0d39278da

This limitation is 100% repeatable and was mentioned before some years ago, see 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-API-Support-Feedback/Large-uploads-via-get-temporary-upload-link-are-terminated-with/td-p/333377

The official documentation does not mention this limitation. I have a paid account and can have 100GB uploads per plan. How can I upload larger files? Presumably this works via the file requests mechanism, does this use some unofficial api  or mechanism?

2 Replies 2

Hen4
Explorer | Level 3

Addendum: using a "file request" does allow anonymous users to upload larger files using that dropbox.com landing page, so clearly there is some kind of undocumented API that would enable this. 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

The information in the other thread you linked to is still accurate. Dropbox does not offer a way to programmatically upload larger files by link, but I'll add this thread to the feature request.

Need more support?