cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

API - limit access to folders

API - limit access to folders

rebornmedia
New member | Level 2

Hi, I am looking at building an app with laravel to share client documents. Clients will log into the application and have access to only their files to download. I wanted to use dropbox api for this but i can't see a way in the docs to limit a user to a specific folder via the api?  Could this be acheived through teams? It would be imporant a user can't access a folder of another user so when they log into the application they only get access to a dropbox folder that has their files in. 

All files will be stored on a single dropbox account. Users will connect to that account.  Is this possible?

Thanks in advance

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

The Dropbox API was designed with the intention that each end-user would directly connect their own Dropbox account to the API app, in order to interact with their own files in their own Dropbox account. It's technically possible to connect to just one account, by always using a specific access token. Please be aware that we don't recommend or support doing so though, for various technical and security reasons. 

Likewise, the Dropbox API does not currently offer the ability to restrict access to specific folders. The Dropbox API currently offers two levels of access: "Full Dropbox" and "App folder". An app with Full Dropbox access can access anything in the account. An app with App folder access can only access a special app folder created for the app in the connected account (and anything inside that app folder at any depth). You can find more information here.

rebornmedia
New member | Level 2

ok - Thank you very much for your detailed reply.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

rebornmedia New member | Level 2
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?