cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to add files to a folder shared via link?

Any way to add files to a folder shared via link?

JetForMe
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

It seems that there's no way to share a link to a folder such that an anonymous user with that link can then add files to the folder, is that right?

This seems like a pretty severe limitation. A "drop box" is a place for other people to drop files to you. For example, a drop box on macOS has, for many years, been a directory served up that has write-only privileges to unauthenticated users; they can't view the contents of the folder, nor delete any of the contents.

For my needs, it would be sufficient (although not perfect) for an anonymous user (actually some client API code I'm writing) to be able to add files to a given share link, without needing any other credentials (just the share link). It's okay if that link also provides view and delete capability for the folder, although not ideal.

Am I just missing something somewhere?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Moving your thread to the API forum.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

JetForMe wrote:

Am I just missing something somewhere?

Yes.

JetForMe
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Sadly, that won't work. There's no programmatic API for creating a file request or for uploading files to the file request.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Moving your thread to the API forum.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the post! It sounds like the file request feature linked to in this thread is the closest to what you're looking for. You're correct though, the API doesn't offer access to that feature unfortunately. I'll send this along as a feature request.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Rich Super User II
    JetForMe Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?