cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding users to Development App Folder

Adding users to Development App Folder

jre1
Explorer | Level 3

I've setup a App in the app console that has app folder access. 

Any files uploaded to the users app folder will be processed by a backend system

My webhooks etc are working well -> backend is properly notified when changes occur in the app folder. 

HOWEVER - how do I have other users add this app folder to their dropbox?

A reminder, I have no website or CLI or anything. All they need to do to use the app is upload a file into the app folder (using the main dropbox client), but I can't figure out how to invite them to the app. 

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

App folders are account-specific, and are only accessible to the user of that account. If another user were to connect the app to their own account, they would get their own distinct app folder. App folders of different users of the same app do not sync with each other. If you want to have other users connect their accounts to your app to get their own app folders, you should implement the OAuth app authorization flow.

Also, note that app folders are incompatible with shared folders, meaning you can't share an app folder, put a shared folder inside an app folder or put an app folder in a shared folder. If you need to use the API with shared folders, you'll need to use "full Dropbox" permission, as opposed to the app folder permission. You can find more information about app permissions here.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?