cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authentication

Authentication

danielleond99
New member | Level 2

I would like to know if it is possible to perform the authentication process without the need for user interaction. From what I understand I could embed the token directly but it expires. It is with the objective of making an automated tool

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

It is not possible to fully automate the OAuth process where the user chooses to authorize the app and the app then receives the resulting access token and optional refresh token. This needs to be done manually by the user at least once.

If your app needs to maintain long-term access without the user manually re-authorizing it repeatedly, the app should request "offline" access so that it gets a refresh token. The refresh token doesn't expire and can be stored and used repeatedly to get new short-lived access tokens whenever needed, without the user manually reauthorizing the app.

You can find more information in the OAuth Guide and authorization documentation.

danielleond99
New member | Level 2
Thank you very much Greg for responding so quickly. That was the best option I found in the documentation
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

danielleond99 New member | Level 2
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?