cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUG - Direct link to files created via /media API call return a corrupt URL!

BUG - Direct link to files created via /media API call return a corrupt URL!

De L.1
Collaborator | Level 9

I noticed that direct links generated via the /media API are currently returning a corrupt URL. Not all file formats seem to be affected, but I can reproduce the issue for PDF and Office files.
According to the documentation, the returned JSON should look like this:

{
    "url": "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/1/view/abcdefghijk/example",
    "expires": "Fri, 16 Sep 2011 01:01:25 +0000"
}

However, currently the following JSON is returned:

{
    "url": "https://api-content.dropbox.com/1/files/auto/abcdefghijk/example.pdf?signature=1.uJpbEgcWOjAIBQ..1435610003.qbYUOzANtu_33g6uv6dJy0JcV9tjp-oF8nQCci_h2Mg",
    "expires": "Fri, 16 Sep 2011 01:01:25 +0000"
}

The url however is invalid and give the following error:

{"error": "Signature did not match. STRING_TO_SIGN was u'1\\nuJpbEgcWOjAIBQ\\n\\n1435610160\\napi-content.dropbox.com\\nGET\\n/1/files/auto/abcdefghijk/example.pdf'"}

Has something changed in the API or is it a (quite severe) bug. If the /media call has changed, where can I find more information about this?

11 Replies 11

De L.1
Collaborator | Level 9

I am not sure if this is going off topic, we can also discuss it via email.

The app I created is a WordPress plugin allowing users to display their Dropbox files directly on a WordPress page without the need of shared links. Users that want to download a file, don't get their hands on a shared link, but instead the short lived url is used to download the file.

I have the same kind of plugins for Google Drive, Box and OneDrive and their API's all include a (short lived) direct download link to the file. And honestly, I think that it should be part of the Dropbox API as well. I don't see a reason why I should first download files to the apps server via the /files call before I can pass it to the user. It makes more sense to let the user download the file directly via the Dropbox servers.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

That's certainly a reasonable request, and I've sent it along to the right people as a feature request.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    De L.1 Collaborator | Level 9
What do Dropbox user levels mean?