cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy from one app > folder to another app > folder

Copy from one app > folder to another app > folder

mitr1887
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I was using a  developers apps (https://www.dropbox.com/developers/apps) account (Status: developer, Permission type: App folder) to store documents of my clients, somehow I lost that one and created another one with different username and app folder name.

My question is: how can I copy the data from previous authorised folder to the new authorised folder? (fyi I have authentication of both tokens at the moment)

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Can you clarify what you mean when you say you "lost that one"? Did you accidentally delete the app itself, or lose access to an entire account, etc.?

For instance, if both app folders are in the same account and you still have access to the account, the easiest thing would be to manually move or copy the contents from one folder to the other via www.dropbox.com (or a linked client).

Rohan87
New member | Level 2
You can consider it like, I might have lost access of entire account.

Question: if the app is created for developers account and anyone accessing this app via their personal dropbox account, where will the docs save: in the app folder of my account or the client's account through which they authenticate?

Whatever I have to do is via api only , because I don't have credentials of any accounts!!! 😞

I'm developer and have to do this task for my superior and his clients.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Rohan87 wrote:
Question: if the app is created for developers account and anyone accessing this app via their personal dropbox account, where will the docs save: in the app folder of my account or the client's account through which they authenticate?

Dropbox API calls are made by using OAuth 2 access tokens, and each Dropbox API OAuth 2 access token is specific to a particular app and account pair. The relevant account is whichever account was used to authorize and retrieve that particular access token. That may be your own developer account, if you authorized the app, or an end-user's personal account, if they did. When uploading files via the Dropbox API, they will be placed in the corresponding account for the access token used to make the call. For apps with the "app folder" permission, the app folder is also account-specific; each connected account gets its own app folder, which does not sync with app folders for other users of the same app.

Anyway, if you do not have access to the accounts themselves, e.g., on dropbox.com, then you'll need to write code to use the listing, downloading, and uploading functionality on the API to copy the files from one account/app folder to the other. That is, use the access token for the original account/app folder to list and download the content, and then use the access token for the new account/app folder to upload the content.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Rohan87 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?