cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download file with special characters

Download file with special characters

kavayah
Explorer | Level 3

Hello 

I have problem while downloading the file using .net dropbox API. The file contains special charaters any suggestion how to download a file with special charaters using Dropbox API. While trying to download its saying "path/not_found/...".

Special Charecters  like - ( . )  exp : at - (some time . GSK) name.pdf 

5 Replies 5

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

I just tried this using DownloadAsync (example here) and it worked correctly for me. 

I'll be happy to help with any issues you're having with the Dropbox API, but I'll need some more information. Please reply with:

- the steps to reproduce the issue
- the name and version of the platform and SDK/library you are using
- the full text of the error/any output
- the relevant code snippet(s)

kavayah
Explorer | Level 3

Hello 

The file name is "Tiny, Tone - (In DropBox) sample.pdf". Which is in my dropbox while downloading this file using Donwloadasync() it throws an error "path/malformed_path/".

I am using .Net Dropbox.API version 4.9.3.

Sample Code:

string folder = "Test";
string file = "Tiny, Tone - (In DropBox) sample.pdf";
using (var response = await dbx.Files.DownloadAsync("/" + folder + "/" + file))
{
using (var fileStream = File.Create(@"C:\" + "sample.pdf"))
{
(await response.GetContentAsStreamAsync()).CopyTo(fileStream);
}
}

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Is that the exact code you're running? I just tried it with v4.9.3 of the .NET SDK, and it worked fine for me.

A 'malformed_path' error indicates that the supplied path isn't in a valid format. The path "/Test/Tiny, Tone - (In DropBox) sample.pdf" is valid though, which is why I'm wondering if this code isn't exactly the same as what's running in your app.

kavayah
Explorer | Level 3

Yes it is the exact code i am running on my machine. I tried by removing "-" from the file then it worked for me.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

I'm glad to hear you were able to get this working.

It should work with a "-" in the filename though. I tried that and it did work for me.

If you want to continue to try to get that working, please share a small sample project that reproduces the issue so we can reproduce and investigate it here.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    kavayah Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?