cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox API -- does it support the open of a folder into a file manager?

Dropbox API -- does it support the open of a folder into a file manager?

William J.21
New member | Level 1

In Windows, with Dropbox client installed, the following "round trip" is possible:

1 in file manager (e.g., Windows Explorer) right click on a selected folder under the main Dropbox folder.

2. Select "View on Dropbbox.com"

3. From view of folder in Dropox.com, select subfolder, then right click, then "Open".

4. Result: The subfolder is opened in the file manager of the computer (i.e., Windows Explorer). Note that simply clicking the subfolder in the Dropbox.com view would simply open the  subfolder in Dropbox.com.

Opening a folder in the computer's file manager is important since this is where  so much of the "real" work is done.

I can do this "manually" with clicks. 

Is there a way to do this programmatically via the Dropbox API? Without this ability, the SPA my team is doing is doing (https://github.com/KeepingFoundThingsFound/picture-projector) is little more than a "toy app".

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

This isn't currently available in the API, and unfortunately I don't know if or when it might be, but I'll be sure to pass this along as a feature request.

William J.21
New member | Level 1

Thanks for your response Gregory. Alas, this is bad news for us and may mean we need to switch our development efforts to Google Drive. Naturally, opening a folder in the file manager should only be supported if the Dropbox client is installed. But, when installed, the ability to do so should be accessible programmatically via the API as well as "manually".

Here's hoping Dropbox gives this feature the highest priority.

Wm

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

William J.21 New member | Level 1
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?