cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox API mvc 5

Dropbox API mvc 5

shawnj013
Explorer | Level 3

Hello, I am not new to Dropbox, but I am new to implementing APIs, I am a bit confused about the process. 

I have created my development:status App and have my token.  But I can't find solid steps on where to insert the code that was given.  I am using ASP.NET MVC 5, my questions include:

1) Where is the best place to insert the code - Controller?  

2) What exactly do I need to implement this API -  I have a documents section in my project and would like users to get access to Dropbox as an option when clicking on 'Add Doc' button.

3) I have looked at the examples, do I need the RestDropBoxApi?

4) Is there a simple end to end tutorial or video available? 

(I apologize in advance for all the questions, but I searched everywhere and don't know where else to turn).  I really appreciate any help on this project. 

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

When you register an app, you get an app key and secret that identify your app. You additionally can "Generate" an access token, which enables access to your own account. While the app key (and sometimes the secret) may be used in your app, you generally shouldn't embed your own access token in your app itself. You should instead implement the OAuth app authorization flow in your app so that arbitrary users can connect to it.

1) I can help with questions about the Dropbox API, but that doesn't include general questions about project structure like this, so I'm afraid I can't offer much insight on this one.

2) For connecting to the Dropbox API from .NET, we recommend using the official Dropbox API v2 .NET SDK. There's documentation and examples there to help you get started. For instance, here's an example that shows how to use the OAuth flow via DropboxOAuth2Helper, and download a file via DownloadAsync.

3) I don't know what you're referring to by "RestDropBoxApi". That doesn't sound like an official Dropbox resource. (The Dropbox API isn't a "REST" API.) As mentioned above, we recommend using the official Dropbox API v2 .NET SDK.

4) We don't have videos, but you can find working samples apps for the .NET SDK here.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?