cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox API v2 for Second Life

Dropbox API v2 for Second Life

SephDragoon
Explorer | Level 4

Update (01/14/2019): Finally back to trying to use this code. A resolution was seemingly made, but not fully implemented. I am able to access the API now, but I still cannot use file/download. I have detailed more of this in my latest post.

Hello. I have happily been a user of yours for last several years, using the Dropbox API from within Second Life. This has given me a rather powerful tool for handling data storage, but your v2 API will not function from withint Second Life any long.

I have been trying to migrate from v1 to v2 ahead of time, and I ran into an error that cannot be fixed within Second Life.

Error in call to API function "files/download": You provided a non-empty HTTP "Content-Type" header ("text/plain; charset=utf-8").  This API function requires that the header be missing or empty.

The problem lies here in Second Life:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlHTTPRequest

You cannot override the Content-Type headed, because it is automatically generated from within Second Life itself. Can you fix this problem? There seems to be little reason that the API could not ignore this content type header if you are doing a download, like it did before.

This prevents me from upgrading to v2, and would break all of my current code in Second Life if it cannot be fixed.

29 Replies 29

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
I don't have an update on this on our side unfortunately. I'll check in with the team, and follow up here if/when I have any news.

SephDragoon
Explorer | Level 4

Okay well, I think I've been more than patient enough. Today was supposed to be the day I wipe my hands of this and just accept you had no interest in fixing the problem. It turns out though that you intend to keep me in limbo for another few months.

So, are you or are you not going to fix my issue? I already had to make the announcement I was shutting down because you guys refused to change this -one- line of code to allow me to stay on. I am not going through 3 more months of limbo wondering if you will or won't. I need to know if my development process is done or not; if I am shutting down, or if you guys actually intend to fix it.

I believe this is entirely reasonable. If you don't think I am important enough to worry about, and you don't intend to fix it, then just say so, and I will move on with my life. If you're refusing to answer because you're trying to save face, I don't appreciate it, nor do my users. I would like an answer for once since the six months ago I asked.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for checking in. I don't have an update on this request unfortunately. We generally don't make promises about potential changes one way or another, since plans can change and we don't want to accidentally mislead anyone. That said, I'll check in with the team again to see if I can get a firm answer one way or another for this.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
The team has decided to update the API to allow some Content-Types such as "text/plain; charset=utf-8" on download endpoints. I'll follow up here once that is live.

SephDragoon
Explorer | Level 4
That is really good news! Thank you for sharing, and I will give an update about it on my end as well!

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
API v2 download endpoints now accept the following Content-Types:

- application/octet-stream
- text/plain
- text/plain; charset=utf-8

Hope this helps!

SephDragoon
Explorer | Level 4

Hello. I have finally come back to the platform on another attempt to use the endpoints. Picking up where I left off, I decided to finally try and see if it would work, but upon trying it out, I got the same error as before. I am specifying the MIME type as both "text/plain" and "text/plain; charset=utf-8". Neither one shows any different result.

So far it is spitting back "Unsupported or unknown Content-Type." once again. Maybe something else has change since my original attempt, but are the new supported content types still working, or was something eventually changed?

Edit: Alright, I have finally been able to confirm that the error stems only from file/download. Other API calls seem to be working, but I am unable to get the contents of the .txt files I had on the server previously. The content type is still incorrect when I am receiving a response from the server.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Http_response

Status 415 "Unsupported or unknown Content-Type"

The remote server did reply to your request but the Content-Type of the reply (such as XML, JSON, Atom, RSS, PLS) is not recognized by the LL server and so is not passed back to the script. You can assume that 415 means the server heard your request and did reply.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

I just tried this, and the new supported content types are working for me. Here are a few sample calls: 

$ curl -X POST https://content.dropboxapi.com/2/files/download \
>     --header "Authorization: Bearer <ACCESS_TOKEN>" \
>     --header "Dropbox-API-Arg: {\"path\": \"/test.txt\"}"
This is the test file data.

>     --header "Dropbox-API-Arg: {\"path\": \"/test.txt\"}" \
>     --header ""

>     --header "Content-Type: application/octet-stream"

>     --header "Content-Type: text/plain"

$ # using the verbose option for more detail:
$ curl -vX POST https://content.dropboxapi.com/2/files/download \
>     --header "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8"

> POST /2/files/download HTTP/1.1
> Host: content.dropboxapi.com
> User-Agent: curl/7.54.0
> Accept: */*
> Authorization: Bearer <ACCESS_TOKEN>
> Dropbox-API-Arg: {"path": "/test.txt"}
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
>
< HTTP/1.1 200 OK
< Server: nginx
< Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 16:25:48 GMT
< Content-Type: application/octet-stream
< Content-Length: 27
< Connection: keep-alive
< accept-ranges: bytes
< etag: W/"73c1c021eccc7"
< pragma: no-cache
< cache-control: no-cache
< original-content-length: 27
< dropbox-api-result: {"name": "test.txt", "path_lower": "/test.txt", "path_display": "/test.txt", "id": "id:25N5ksooX-sAAAAAAAKn0Q", "client_modified": "2019-01-15T16:24:48Z", "server_modified": "2019-01-15T16:24:49Z", "rev": "73c1c021eccc7", "size": 27, "content_hash": "cceac37da5288a6b6716737310c14305c9b16a6e0ff0abce4a306c3de3a59f75"}
< X-Server-Response-Time: 1984
< X-Dropbox-Request-Id: c87ab76814c43ef58c5d284e646fdec7
< X-Robots-Tag: noindex, nofollow, noimageindex
<
* Connection #0 to host content.dropboxapi.com left intact

While you can now specify any of those three newly supported Content-Type values (or none) for the request, the response's Content-Type for /2/files/download is not guaranteed to be the same as that of the request; it is always "application/octet-stream" to indicate that it is returning the binary data for the requested file (assuming the call succeeded).

I'm not familiar with your platform, but from the SecondLife documentation you quoted it sounds like the issue now is that "LL server" isn't accepting the the "application/octet-stream" response Content-Type for the response from Dropbox for the /2/files/download call.

SephDragoon
Explorer | Level 4
I know how to get the calls to function. The platform is still fairly straight forward. You can say that Linden Labs is at fault for their specifications, yes. However that is the easy way out ignoring that if version 1 of the API was not depracated, this would still be functioning. I wrote this system in v1, and there was no guarantee that it would continue to work, but right now the point remains that the differences between v1 and v2 have broken code for some people to a point where it could not continue after version 1 was deprecated. I had to abandon my project a year and a half ago, and after being told it would work I came back to it. Only, it doesn't work.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the feedback! It's much appreciated, and I've shared it with the team.

As far as specific changes to API v2 are concerned, the original requested change here, to support more Content-Type values for requests to /2/files/download, was implemented and is working. Is there another specific change that would be helpful for API v2? I can't make any promises as to whether or not we'd be able to make any particular change, but I'd be happy to send along another request to do so. 

Need more support?