cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting started using dropbox with C#

Getting started using dropbox with C#

brett8
Explorer | Level 3

Hi I'm an experienced c# developer trying to get started with dropbox coding.  I'm looking to write a .net 6 integration to read files from dropbox but initially, I'm just trying to make a proof of concept connection.

I've started reading the documentation which has led me to the examples on the dropbox github here dropbox/dropbox-sdk-dotnet: The Official Dropbox API V2 SDK for .NET (github.com)

I've downloaded the code but cannot get it to even compile! 

The issues seem to be related to mismatched dependencies on packages and projects refs - some of which are .net standard 2 some of which are framework 4.5  

I've tried visual studio 2019  & 2022  I've tried .net 6 / standard 2 / framework 4.5  / framework 4.8.

I've tried installing likely missing nuget packages  system.net.http  / microsoft.net.http etc

I've tried building the whole solution / pulling out the oauthtest example  / pulling out program.cs into linqpad even.

I've tried pulling out the project references and adding to the nuget packages instead.

I can only assume that I've somehow picked up the wrong developer documentation and that that api is an old / depreciated version.

Any pointers towards the happy path or a simple "sign-in and list files"  demo would be greatly appreciated.  

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the report, and apologies for the trouble. We dropped support for .NET Framework 4.5 in v6.0.0 of the Dropbox .NET SDK, but it sounds like the configuration of the example app(s) weren't updated to match. I'll ask the team to update that accordingly to get those working again.

brett8
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for getting back to me Greg

I managed to find a tutorial that has got me going with the basics here : .NET - Developers - Dropbox 

Posting this in case it helps others.

It looks like you have a decent API and some very good detailed documentation but It is quite difficult to get started with and you could do with a little more documentation on getting started.   Linking that ^^^ basic tutorial from your README.md in github would help,  I think.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

brett8 Explorer | Level 3
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?