cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get files.metadata.read permission?

How can I get files.metadata.read permission?

GoldunRoman
New member | Level 2

I`m writing some code in order to parse my dropbox folders and files but in task.Wait(); line I have error: BadInputException: Error in call to API function "files/list_folder": Your app is not permitted to access this endpoint because it does not have the required scope 'files.metadata.read'. The owner of the app can enable the scope for the app using the Permissions tab on the App Console.
When I went to the App Console files.metadata.read button is grey and unactive. How can I enable it?

Sorry for bad English, It is not my native language 🙂

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

It sounds like you do have the "files.metadata.read" scope enabled on the app you're looking at on the App Console. It would be greyed out if you also have at least one other scope enabled which relies on "files.metadata.read", and so you can't disable "files.metadata.read" without disabling the other scope(s) first. While greyed out, it would still be checked, though it may be hard to see the grey check on some screens or at certain sizes.

In any case, the error you're getting would indicate that you're using an access token for an app that does not have that particular scope enabled. Are you sure you're using an access token for the particular app you're looking at on the App Console?

Also, make sure you use the "Submit" button on the bar at the bottom of the page to save any changes you make.

And, be aware that just adding a scope to your app via the App Console does not retroactively grant that scope to existing access tokens or refresh tokens.

If you need help checking on the state of a particular app, feel free to open an API ticket from the account that owns the app.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?