cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get the "Date Created" attribute from a file using the python SDK?

How can I get the "Date Created" attribute from a file using the python SDK?

f21a0b091d4c42dc9775f3d4eb
New member | Level 2

Using the Dropbox for Python SDK, I can see the date that the file was last modified in dropbox using the client_modified attribute,

However when I view the "Info" tab in the dropbox web UI, i can see that there is "Date created", "Date taken", and "Date uploaded" times, which I want to use to organize my photos. 

Is there any way to get any of these values using the Dropbox for Python SDK?

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

The Dropbox API/SDK doesn't return file creation dates (only modified dates), but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though.

The "Date created", "Date taken", and "Date uploaded" values you're referring to are from metadata embedded in image, such as using Exif. Some but not all image files contain embedded image metadata like that. The Dropbox API automatically exposes some of this information, such as dimensions and time_taken, where available, via the /2/files/get_metadata endpoint, which is files_get_metadata in the Python SDK. This unfortunately doesn't include the full EXIF data though. You can find all of the metadata offered in the documentation, by expanding the relevant fields, such as by clicking on FileMetadata, MediaMetadata, PhotoMetadata and VideoMetadata. To retrieve any other embedded image metadata not offered there, you'd need to download the image file and extract the image metadata in your code to access those fields.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?