cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to "save to dropbox" a file from a shared link folder?

Is it possible to "save to dropbox" a file from a shared link folder?

AlexIsAlex
New member | Level 2
I have found that calling list_folder API and passing the "shared_link" parameter will give me a list of the files in a shared link folder, but is it possible to copy one of these files into a dropbox folder? There is the save_url API, but there doesn't seem to be any way to obtain the URL of a file from the results returned by list_folder. Even calling get_shared_link_metadata and passing the path of the file only returns the URL to the shared folder itself, not to the individual file. Is there no way to perform a direct copy to dropbox?
3 Replies 3

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
No, unfortunately there isn't a way to do this directly. I'll send this along to the team to request a way to do so.

As a (non-ideal) workaround, you could download the file using get_shared_link_file, and then re-upload it to the receiving account.

AlexIsAlex
New member | Level 2
Ah, so it's not just something I'm missing then. OK, thanks for letting me know.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Update: The Dropbox API now returns the shared link for the nested item as 'url' when requesting the metadata for that item using the "path" parameter on /2/sharing/get_shared_link_metadata (instead of the original parent link).

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    AlexIsAlex New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?