cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Is it possible to "save to dropbox" a file from a shared link folder?

Is it possible to "save to dropbox" a file from a shared link folder?

AlexIsAlex
New member | Level 2
I have found that calling list_folder API and passing the "shared_link" parameter will give me a list of the files in a shared link folder, but is it possible to copy one of these files into a dropbox folder? There is the save_url API, but there doesn't seem to be any way to obtain the URL of a file from the results returned by list_folder. Even calling get_shared_link_metadata and passing the path of the file only returns the URL to the shared folder itself, not to the individual file. Is there no way to perform a direct copy to dropbox?
3 Replies 3

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
No, unfortunately there isn't a way to do this directly. I'll send this along to the team to request a way to do so.

As a (non-ideal) workaround, you could download the file using get_shared_link_file, and then re-upload it to the receiving account.

AlexIsAlex
New member | Level 2
Ah, so it's not just something I'm missing then. OK, thanks for letting me know.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Update: The Dropbox API now returns the shared link for the nested item as 'url' when requesting the metadata for that item using the "path" parameter on /2/sharing/get_shared_link_metadata (instead of the original parent link).

Need more support?