cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modification dates for directories?

Modification dates for directories?

Keith B.7
Helpful | Level 7

In API 1, DBMetadata would report -clientMTime and -lastModifiedDate dates for any time of meta-data, including folders.

In API 2, it seems that -clientModified and -serverModified are only available for DBFILESFileMetadata and not for DBFILESFolderMetadata. So how do I get the modification date for a folder?

Thanks,

Keith

4 Replies 4

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
This isn't available in API v2, but I'll be sure to pass this along as a feature request.

Keith B.7
Helpful | Level 7

Ouch. My whole caching method relies on storing a date against every file and folder. That's a bit of a blow for a smooth transition...

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Can you elaborate a bit on your use case and usage of these timestamps? I'll be happy to pass it along as feedback to the team.

Even on API v1, the "modified" time for a folder didn't reflect changes inside that folder, so I wouldn't expect it to be very useful for caching.

Keith B.7
Helpful | Level 7

Hmm, revisiting the code, it seems I mainly used the modification dates against folders for consistency with the way files were cached. The problem is less that they are needed for any comparison and more that the cached database file saves folder names against the dates. I should just be able to use any date for folders without it causing any problems, I think.

Thanks,

Keith

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Keith B.7 Helpful | Level 7
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?