cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: OS X 10.11 bitcode support for Dropbox Sync API?

OS X 10.11 bitcode support for Dropbox Sync API?

Brendan D.
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

I know that the Dropbox Sync API is deprecated, but would you be able to make a build for OS X 10.11 which has the bitcode flag enabled?

I'm getting the following error (and lots of them) when I compile with Xcode 7 now:

ld: warning: URGENT: all bitcode will be dropped because '/Users/brendan/Projects/tapforms-ios/Pods/Dropbox-Sync-API-SDK/dropbox-ios-sync-sdk-3.1.2/Dropbox.framework/Dropbox(value.o)' was built without bitcode. You must rebuild it with bitcode enabled (Xcode setting ENABLE_BITCODE), obtain an updated library from the vendor, or disable bitcode for this target. Note: This will be an error in the future.

Thanks,

Brendan

34 Replies 34

Steve M.
Dropbox Staff

That's all I could find too. In that case, given that the Sync API is deprecated and there's a workaround (disabling bitcode support), I don't think we're going to add bitcode support to the Sync API.

Is there a reason your keen on supporting bitcode in your app? How important is it to you?

Brendan D.
Explorer | Level 4

Well at first it was because I thought it was required if you had also a WatchKit app and I didn't realize you could set that independently of the rest of the app. Plus when I first started using Xcode 7 at about the time I submitted the original post in this thread, I was receiving a ton of compile time errors because Dropbox Sync didn't support Bitcode. But I guess if it's optional then that's ok. I just didn't want Apple to reject my app update for not having it.

Steve M.
Dropbox Staff

Definitely let us know if Apple rejects your app due to a lack of bitcode support. (If it turns out to be a requirement, we'll likely add bitcode support to the SDK.) Thanks for bearing with us through this!

Bob S.15
Collaborator | Level 9

Hi I am having to recompile my app for iOS 9 and am getting this error.  I didn't know you were stopping support for the Sync library.  Ugh is it hard to replace the old with the new?  I don't need any fancy capabilities just the basic functionality of what the old library provided.

stef m.
New member | Level 1

+1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Bob, I'm sorry the Sync SDK deprecation caught you off guard. We wanted to give developers as much warning as possible of course, so we ran an email campaign when it was announced, but it sounds like you never saw or got it (e.g., perhaps it got filtered from your inbox). In any case, you can find the full information here: https://blogs.dropbox.com/developers/2015/04/deprecating-the-sync-and-datastore-apis/

The specifics of migrating will depend heavily on how and to what extent your app uses the Sync SDK. If you run in to any issues of course, just let us know and we'll be happy to help.

Bob S.15
Collaborator | Level 9

Hi Gregory,

Ha -- now that I look at the documentation, it is not the Sync API I am using but the original API from 2010!  I figured that it would stop being supported eventually.    For years I have gotten the warning that  [[self restClient] uploadFile: toPath: fromPath:] was deprecated, but there didn't ever seem to be a simple replacement for it.

Is there anything special I should know if I am going to be updating from that old API?  

Bob S.15
Collaborator | Level 9

Hi Gregory,

Ha -- now that I look at the documentation, it is not the Sync API I am using but the original API from 2010!  I figured that it would stop being supported eventually.    For years I have gotten the warning that  uploadFile: toPath: fromPath: was deprecated, but there didn't ever seem to be a simple replacement for it.

Is there anything special I should know if I am going to be updating from that old API?  

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Oh, great! We haven't released an update to the iOS Core SDK with bitcode, but if you need bitcode support for the Core SDK, you can add the source directly, since it's open source. There's a thread about this for the Core SDK here:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/204352929-Need-Bitcode-Framework

Bob S.15
Collaborator | Level 9

Was that a sarcastic 'great'? Isn't that sort of bad that I am still on the API from 2010? 

For now I just turned Bitcode support off in my projects, my apps are super small anyway so it wouldn't make much difference.  I've submitted my update using the still-working ancient API calls.  But I guess I need to get to work on another update which incorporates the modern API. 

Need more support?